If your Earned Income Credit (EIC) was disallowed or reduced for something other than a math or clerical error, you may need to file Form 8862 before the IRS allows you to use the credit again. Here's how to file Form 8862 in TurboTax.
- Sign in to TurboTax and continue to open your return.
- In the search box, search for 8862 and then select the Jump to link in the search results.
- You'll come to the Earned Income Credit section. Select Continue.
- Answer the questions and eventually you'll be asked Do any of these uncommon situations apply? Check the box that says, I/we got a letter/notice from the IRS telling me/us to fill out an 8862 form to claim the Earned Income Credit.
- Select Continue and then Done.
- On the Since you got an IRS notice, we need to check on a few things screen, select the radio button next to No, none of these apply and I need to fill out the 8862 form.
- Select Continue.
- Answer the remaining questions.