turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My taxes continue to get denied for year 2017 because i'm reported as deceased.

My taxes continue to get denied for year 2017 because im reported as deceased. I was given a notice to contact Social Security, which I did. In their records they have nothing that shows that I am deceased. So now i'm at a dead end. Tried to contact the IRS, but they literally give me dead ends for every number I call. Please help. The message that I recieve is "Reject Code IND-901, Description of error: The Primary SSN in the Return Header has been locked because Social Security Administration records indicate the number belongs to a deceased individual. What needs to be done: The taxpayer's SSN has been locked by the Social Security Administration because their records show it belongs to someone who is deceased. Verify that the taxpayer's Social Security Number (SSN) has been entered correctly. If necessary make corrections and resubmit this return. The IRS receives this information from the Social Security Administration. If after verifying the social security number, you feel this was received in error, contact the Social Security Administration (SSA) at 800-772-1213 to verify that their records are accurate. If SSA records need to be corrected, it can take up to four weeks to transfer the updated information to the IRS. Wait four weeks and then re-file the return. If the reject continues, or if you do not want to wait four weeks to re-file electronically, you may print this return and mail it to the appropriate IRS Service Center." I

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

I am sorry for your inconvenience but this is definitely a problem between the IRS and the Social Security Administration.

The advice you received above is correct. In your situation, most taxpayers just print and mail their tax returns.

Be sure to check with the IRS from time to time during the year to make sure that the IRS has received your correct status, so that this won't happen again next year.

Having the same problem. If SSA does not show as deceased, what are our options for filing?

As noted above: you can either wait 4 weeks and hope that the IRS database has been refreshed so you can e-file, or you can print the return and mail it. Most people do the latter because they would hate the thought of waiting 4 weeks and still not being able to file.
carolou50

This is exactly my problem for the 2019 tax year.  How did you resolve it?  Thanks.

@carolou50 wrote:

This is exactly my problem for the 2019 tax year.  How did you resolve it?  Thanks.

Read the problem at the top of this thread from the original poster.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for printing a tax return for mailing - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/printing/help/how-do-i-print-and-mail-my-return-in-turbotax-online...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies