turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

My amended return has been adjusted, when will i receive the check?

No one can tell you that ... did you read any of the other posts in this thread ? 

Online the IRS states that an amended return, if owed credit, will be returned to you in the same form as the original. Hence, if your original taxes you opted for a check by mail, then that is how you will receive you amended return and if your original was a direct deposit, then it will be. It notifies you when you finish th return somewhere at the end in either paperwork or where you did your taxes. Basically stating that the return style previously chosen cannot be changed on amended taxes.

What's not possible? When looking online as to where and how to file an amended return, the IRS states that the original chosen return payment method cannot be changed. So I have no choice but to get DD. 

They only mail checks for refunds.  No Direct Deposit.

See 1040X instructions top of page 17

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040x.pdf

It says.....You will receive a check for any refund due to you. A refund on an amended return can’t be deposited directly to your bank account.

@CjLef If you printed, signed and mailed a Form 1040X--the ONLY way to amend a tax return--then your refund will be a check mailed to you.  It will not be a direct deposit.  So watch your mailbox.

A 1040X cannot be e-filed.  It must be printed and mailed.  It will take about 3-4 months for the IRS to process an amended return.  It is a good idea to use a mailing service that will track it, like UPS or certified mail, so you will know it was received.

Wait about 3 weeks from mailing and you can check the status of your amended return:

https://www.irs.gov/Filing/Individuals/Amended-Returns-(Form-1040-X)/Wheres-My-Amended-Return-1

https://www.irs.gov/filing/individuals/amended-returns-form-1040-x/amended-return-frequently-asked-q...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1908543-do-i-need-to-amend

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2566895-what-does-it-mean-to-amend-a-return

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Much like the other people here that states they received DD for an amended. I was notified and forced to approve the receiving of not being able to change my original method. It told me I could not change to receive a check, which I wanted , that I had to receive it the same as the original chosen method.

Sounds like you were still working in the original return not an amended return.  You can't change the refund method from direct deposit on the original return if you selected to have the fees deducted from your refund.  If you are working on an amended return then you ignore any instructions that print out.  They are probably still for the original return.

jazmyne94

I filed my amended return and it was received July 22nd, and adjusted November 29th 😩 hopefully I get my check soon. It’s been a while! 

Razabby

I got my check about 3 weeks after it said it was completed.

jazmyne94

Yikes ! So I still have quite a while to go 😭 

I filed with my tax preparer I had quite a few jobs last year and one of them claimed that my w2form was unattainable so she filed an ammendment for me.She told me it would take 5 to 7 days for me to receive it.

I amended my 2016 tax return after discovering filing jointly would net a considerable additional refund. It was posted as received 11/22/2019, updated as adjusted 2/7/2020, with the status also stating;

"Your account was adjusted on 02/07/2020 Friday. Within three weeks, you will receive a notice that explains the adjustment."

My initial filing was for direct deposit. I didn't know what to expect, because the above statement doesn't provide information on what the outcome is. I assumed I would find out within the next 3 weeks. It was received, 2/10/2020, the check was in my mailbox, for those thinking that they will receive direct deposit, because the initial return was received as direct deposit. 

The status has not changed in the system and still reads what I posted above.

On 02/14/2020

TiffanyL
Intuit Alumni

Your amended return will take up to 3 weeks after you mailed it to show up on the IRS system. Processing it can take up to 16 weeks:

Where is my amended return

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I went through jackson hewitt, they screwed up my return so i did nt amended on my own, i dont intend on paying them for services they didnt do properly. Will my check be mailed to them since they were on the original return? Or the address i put on the amended return? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies