turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is there an easier way to register to pull previous tax year forms?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies

To access your current or prior year tax returns sign onto the TurboTax website with the userID you used to create the account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and on the section Your tax returns & documents click on Show.  Click on the Year and Click on Download/print return (PDF)

See this TurboTax support FAQ for accessing prior year online tax returns - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/prior-year-return/help/how-do-i-access-my-prior-year-return/01/270...

If you used the desktop CD/Download editions installed on your computer, the only copy of your tax data file and any PDF's will be on the computer where the return was created.  TurboTax does not store online any returns completed using the desktop editions.

Or go to this IRS website for free federal tax return transcripts - https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript

For a fee of $50 you can get a complete federal tax return from the IRS by completing Form 4506 - http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506.pdf

lbgendlek

I do NOT have a "Your tax returns & documents" or "Download/print return" button on my screen when I log in via the Online edition.  The only option I have when logging in is to start work on my 2020 tax return.  

I should not have to pay $50 to the IRS for documents I already paid for under your system. 

Cynthiad66
Employee Tax Expert

In order to access prior year tax information, you must use the same account login information.  Once you use that information the prior year information should be available if you filed using TurboTax.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
lbgendlek

I did use the same log-in information.  Here is exactly the screen I see when I log in.  As you see at the top, the system is recognizing this is my same log in as the past 8 years.  There is no Documents button on the side.

Untitled.png

Cynthiad66
Employee Tax Expert

Ok let's try this.  Oh the left long black strip come down you should see "Tools".

Click on Tools

Then click on Print Center

You should be able to download, view and print from this page

This should work!!!  I appreciate your patience.

lbgendlek

The only three links at the bottom of the black strip are:

• File an Extension
  • Intiuit Account
  • Sign Out

I did click into Intuit Account and found "Data & Privacy" where it said I could download all my personal data.  But it does not allow me to select which data.  It only will let me request all data, and that the request will take up to 45 days to process!!

IsabellaG
Employee Tax Expert

@ibgendlek, did you scroll all the way to the bottom of your screen? You should see Your Tax Returns and Documents at the bottom of the screen you are showing.

lbgendlek

Yes, of course I scrolled all the way to the bottom.  I have scrolled up and down, looked left and right.  Here is the screen I see upon logging in, scrolled down to the bottom.

Capture.PNG

@ lbgendlek 

Your image shows that you haven't gone far enough.   You need to proceed further.  Once you go through some initial screens you should have the Tax Home and Documents tabs on the left.    You do not have to pay.  See my explanation and steps below:

When you log into TurboTax for the first time this year, you may not yet have the Tax Home tab and Documents tab visible in the left menu column.    If they're not there, then you may have to first proceed a little further by answering some preliminary screens and may even need to choose a 2020 product to get them to appear (you are not obligated to use it.)    Once you continue far enough to have those tabs, here are a couple of ways to get to the prior returns:

You can click on Documents tab in the left menu and then a dropdown list of years should appear.  Choose the year, and then way off to the right of the screen, you should see a link to download the PDF.    If that didn't work, here's another method:

Go to the Tax Home tab.  Scroll down the Tax Home page to the section "Your Tax Returns & Documents."  Expand that section and choose the tax year you want.   Then you can choose to "Download/print the PDF", or if you just need the 2019 AGI, then once you choose 2019 there should be a link to "View adjusted gross income (AGI.)"

If you do all that, but there's no evidence of the prior returns when you look in that section "Your Tax Returns & Documents", then you likely have multiple accounts and signed into the wrong one.  ln that case, report back, and we can tell you how to look for multiple accounts.

lbgendlek

That finally worked when I clicked through a few screens as if I was going to complete my tax return.  That is not intuitive at all.  The Documents link should be available from the initial log in.

@ lbgendlek wrote:

That finally worked when I clicked through a few screens as if I was going to complete my tax return.  That is not intuitive at all.  The Documents link should be available from the initial log in.

I agree.  It stumps a lot of people.  Hopefully, once the Tax Home and Documents tabs appeared, you found the prior return in that account.  Good luck.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies