turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

NW0
Level 2

Inherited Book Royalties Calculated by IRS as Self Employment Income - Help!

For Tax Year 2019, I started a thread and received instructions how to handle royalty income distributed by my uncle from my grandparents' books.  I have been following advice from that thread for the last 3 tax cycles.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/heir-to-book-royalties-distributed-by-a-fellow-he...

I just received a notice from IRS that calculated self employment tax that they propose that I owe from my line entry for book royalties.  My entry is in Schedule 1, line 8 and has the additional text "Book Royalties."  From the bit of research I've done on this message board, I don't believe the royalty income I receive is subject to self employment tax.  The books that are generating royalties are several decades old at this point and the income is not a significant part of my family's overall income.

The notice shows the amount that IRS believes I owe, and a payment deadline of Aug. 24 to avoid further interest.  It also says, "If you believe the amount on Schedule 1, line 8 isn't subject to SE tax, send us a signed statement explaining why and include supporting documentation."

So my questions are:

1. Was Schedule 1, line 8 the correct location to enter this income?
  2. Am I correct that I should not owe SE tax on this income?
  3. If yes to both, do you have suggestions for what supporting documentation to include?  (I have the checks, a letter from my uncle, bank statements, etc.)

Thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

NW0
Level 2

Thank you — so the original advice I was following was not accurate. 

Is line 8 an acceptable place to have entered this information, or do I need to amend my taxes?

your name, address, ssn and date

Dear Sir or Madam,

I am disputing your assessment of the self-employment tax you assessed on the royalties reported on my 1040 schedule 1 line 8 

Under IRC code section 1402

(a)Net earnings from self-employment
The term “net earnings from self-employment” means the gross income derived by an individual from any trade or business carried on by such individual,

under IRC REG  § 1.1402(a)-1 Definition of net earnings from self-employment.
(a) Subject to the special rules set forth in §§ 1.1402(a)-3 to 1.1402(a)-17, inclusive, and to the exclusions set forth in §§ 1.1402(c)-2 to 1.1402(c)-7, inclusive, the term “net earnings from self-employment” means:

(1) The gross income derived by an individual from any trade or business carried on by such individual, less the deductions allowed by chapter 1 of the Code which are attributable to such trade or business,

since the term " trade or business" is not defined in the IRC this is from your webpage (in part)

hthttps://www.irs.gov/charities-non-profits/trade-or-business-definedtps://www.irs.gov/charities-non... 

The term trade or business generally includes any activity carried on for the production of income from selling goods or performing services.

I receive the royalties reported on my 1040  as an heir from books written by my grandparents. I perform no services and provide no goods to receive these royalties.  therefore, I am not engaged in a trade or business with regard to these royalties and therefore they do not meet the definition of self-employment income as set forth in IRC code section 1402 and the related regulations as stated above

Please adjust your records accordingly to remove the self-employment tax you are assessing

include the above in a letter that you sign and date under penalties of perjury.

i would change the description in future returns to "royalties received as heir"

include the letter and IRS notice in your response.

send by a method where you can track that the IRS received it. keep copies for your records.

you should receive a response from the IRS. how long it will take is unknown.  

NW0
Level 2

Thank you — the template is very helpful!

FYI ... if this income is reported now on the 1099-misc in the royalties box then you would be best to report it as royalties on the Sch E and not on line 8 of the Sch 1  to avoid any futher issues in the future. 

However, if the amount is being reported on a 1099-NEC incorrectly you need to educate the issuer to use the correct form.

NW0
Level 2

Thank you for the information. I don’t actually receive any 1099 for this, as the money is disbursed by my uncle from the bank account that receives the royalties. So all the help and tips are appreciated. 

NW0
Level 2

Folks,

I have drafted the less "legalese" letter below.  What do you think?  I assume that IRS is aware of their own definitions, and I am not sure that reciting them makes for a more compelling argument (and I'd like this to be "easy to read" so as not to turn this into a time sink for the person who reviews it).  Either way, I do very much appreciate that you included the citations because it is good education for me.

Thank you for the time spent looking and replying.

To Whom it May Concern:

I disagree with the charges proposed in the notice dated July 25, 2022.  This notice describes that the IRS has classified the sum of [dollar value redacted] Book Royalties from Schedule 1, line 8 of our 2020 federal income tax return as self-employment income, and then calculated self-employment tax on this income.  These royalties are generated from books that my deceased grandparents authored mostly between [dates redacted].  I receive a portion of the royalties as an heir.

Because these royalties are not generated by any trade or business carried on by me or by my wife, I do not believe that the income is subject to self-employment tax.

Please see attached photos of two disbursal checks (partial sum of the 2020 income) from the bank account of [grandparent/author name redacted].  The books of [grandparent/author names] are well documented.  The Wikipedia entry below includes a concise list of their best known works.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/[redacted]

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help settle this matter.

Sincerely,

Going forward just put it on the Sch E and save yourself this headache in the future.

NW0
Level 2

Thank you, I absolutely will and I'll make a better description (if that field allows a description).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies