After you file

your name, address, ssn and date

Dear Sir or Madam,

I am disputing your assessment of the self-employment tax you assessed on the royalties reported on my 1040 schedule 1 line 8 

Under IRC code section 1402

(a)Net earnings from self-employment
The term “net earnings from self-employment” means the gross income derived by an individual from any trade or business carried on by such individual,

under IRC REG  § 1.1402(a)-1 Definition of net earnings from self-employment.
(a) Subject to the special rules set forth in §§ 1.1402(a)-3 to 1.1402(a)-17, inclusive, and to the exclusions set forth in §§ 1.1402(c)-2 to 1.1402(c)-7, inclusive, the term “net earnings from self-employment” means:

(1) The gross income derived by an individual from any trade or business carried on by such individual, less the deductions allowed by chapter 1 of the Code which are attributable to such trade or business,

since the term " trade or business" is not defined in the IRC this is from your webpage (in part)

hthttps://www.irs.gov/charities-non-profits/trade-or-business-definedtps://www.irs.gov/charities-non... 

The term trade or business generally includes any activity carried on for the production of income from selling goods or performing services.

I receive the royalties reported on my 1040  as an heir from books written by my grandparents. I perform no services and provide no goods to receive these royalties.  therefore, I am not engaged in a trade or business with regard to these royalties and therefore they do not meet the definition of self-employment income as set forth in IRC code section 1402 and the related regulations as stated above

Please adjust your records accordingly to remove the self-employment tax you are assessing

include the above in a letter that you sign and date under penalties of perjury.

i would change the description in future returns to "royalties received as heir"

include the letter and IRS notice in your response.

send by a method where you can track that the IRS received it. keep copies for your records.

you should receive a response from the IRS. how long it will take is unknown.