turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I've already filed my taxes, and I forgot to claim the stimulus money. If possible how do I claim the stimulus money if I've already filed my taxes? Tax Year 2020

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

I've already filed my taxes, and I forgot to claim the stimulus money. If possible how do I claim the stimulus money if I've already filed my taxes? Tax Year 2020

If you did not receive your first and/or second stimulus payment or if the amount received is not correct, you can claim it on your 2020 tax return as the Recovery Rebate Credit.

In TurboTax Online, to claim the Recovery Rebate credit please do the following:

1. Sign into your account and continue from where you left off
  2. Click on Federal in the left-hand column, then on Federal Review on the top of the screen
  3. On the next page titled Let's make sure you got the right stimulus amount, click on Continue
  4. Follow the interview
  5. TurboTax will determine whether you are entitled to any additional stimulus
  6. Any stimulus amount remaining due to you will show as a credit on line 30 of your form 1040.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

21 Replies
CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

If you did not receive your first and/or second stimulus payment or if the amount received is not correct, you can claim it on your 2020 tax return as the Recovery Rebate Credit.

In TurboTax Online, to claim the Recovery Rebate credit please do the following:

1. Sign into your account and continue from where you left off
  2. Click on Federal in the left-hand column, then on Federal Review on the top of the screen
  3. On the next page titled Let's make sure you got the right stimulus amount, click on Continue
  4. Follow the interview
  5. TurboTax will determine whether you are entitled to any additional stimulus
  6. Any stimulus amount remaining due to you will show as a credit on line 30 of your form 1040.

I applied for the return/edit of my tax return on the 6th, and after over 24 hours of February 12th the only update I've gotten is that my return has been accepted, however, nothing has been sent to me about editing my taxes. What do I do from here to claim for review on the recovery rebate for the stimulus checks?

Thank you

JamesG1
Employee Tax Expert

If your 2020 Federal tax return has been accepted by the IRS, you will have to amend your 2020 Federal tax return and correct the entries and calculations to receive the Recovery Rebate Credit.

If you have not received your second stimulus check, you will receive your payment in the form of a Recovery Rebate Credit on line 30 of your 2020 Federal tax return when you file.

TurboTax will compare your one or two stimulus payment amounts to the computations within TurboTax.  The computations within TurboTax are based upon the information that you have entered into the tax software.  If you are due an additional amount, it will be issued as a Recovery Rebate Credit (RRC) on line 30 of the 2020 1040 tax return. 

In TurboTax Online, you are prompted to input stimulus check 1 and stimulus check 2 information under Review down the left hand side of the screen.

You can access your stimulus check choices by following these steps:  

• Down the left side of the screen, click on Federal.
  • Across the top of the screen, click on Other Tax Situations.
  • At the screen Let’s keep going to wrap up.  Click on Let’s keep going.
  • At the screen Let’s make sure you got the right stimulus amount, click Continue.
  • At the screen Did you get a stimulus payment? you can update your stimulus check entries. 

See also this TurboTax Help.

zarbrielmassey12
Returning Member

I have a question and hopefully someone has a answer to my question. So I've already filled my taxes in April and I got my tax refund money. So April passes and May comes in and the deadline for filing taxes were May 17th. So if I already filed my taxes before May even rolled in. Does it mean that I can still get money or not? Because I tried to file my taxes again on TurboTax and it said that my taxes has already been filed. So what does that mean? I really hope anyone is willing to answer my question. :(

You can only file ONE original tax return per tax year and you say you already did that AND got the refund.   So  WHY are you trying to file another 2020 tax return ???  

zarbrielmassey12
Returning Member

Okay that's all I needed to know. But my question is will I still be able to get money back is my biggest question? 

This is not a normal tax year.  The IRS in most tax years will issue a tax refund within 21 days after the tax return has been accepted in 90% of the time.

From this IRS website - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue

As of May 15, 2021, we had 300,000 individual tax returns received prior to 2021 in the processing pipeline. Including current year returns, as of May 15, 2021, we had 16.4 million unprocessed individual returns in the pipeline. Unprocessed returns include those requiring correction to the Recovery Rebate Credit amount or validation of 2019 income used to figure the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and Additional Child Tax Credit (ACTC). This work does not require us to correspond with taxpayers but does require special handling by an IRS employee so, in these instances, it is taking the IRS more than 21 days to issue any related refund. If, as a result, a correction is made to any RRC, EITC or ACTC claimed on the return, the IRS will send taxpayers an explanation. Taxpayers are encouraged to continue to check Where’s My Refund? for their personalized refund status and can review Tax Season Refund Frequently Asked Questions.

Once a tax return has been Accepted by the IRS or a State, TurboTax receives no further information concerning the tax return or the status of any tax refund.  

To check the status of an e-filed return, open up your desktop product or log into your TurboTax Online Account. You can find your status within the TurboTax product.
If accepted by the IRS use the federal tax refund website to check the refund status - https://www.irs.gov/refunds
If accepted by the state use this TurboTax support FAQ to check the state tax refund status - https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899433-how-do-i-track-my-state-refund

After the tax return has been Accepted by the IRS (meaning only that they received the return) it will be in the Processing mode until the tax refund has been Approved and then an Issue Date will be available on the IRS website.
See this IRS website for federal tax refund FAQ's - https://www.irs.gov/refunds/tax-season-refund-frequently-asked-questions

What money?  For the Stimulus payments?  Which ones?  #1 2 or 3?

zarbrielmassey12
Returning Member

I've got the 1st and 2nd but haven't got the 3rd stimulus check yet. On the letter that I got in the mail it was saying that payment I've received but I haven't got the $600. But every time I check to get my payment or either my refund it keeps saying the date that I received them so idk if I'm suppose to be getting more or what. 

Ok ... let's start with the third payment ... it will be released based on the filing of the 2020 return if you are eligible. 

Next the missing second check ... if you got a letter saying they sent it then you will NOT get it on the 2020 return as a credit.  YOU will need to ask for a trace on the missing money to be initiated .... read the third + :  

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/second-eip-faqs

zarbrielmassey12
Returning Member

Okay yes I did receive a letter in the mail saying that my 1st and 2nd payment has been sent but I haven't received my third payment. 

The new 3rd one just started going out.  See

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment 

zarbrielmassey12
Returning Member

Okay I just checked it and it says that it's been sent out April 28th, 2021. But I keep checking it to see if I'm getting any payments and that's all it keeps saying nothing else besides that. 

maryba12

I received the first 2 stimulus but did not receive the 3rd one. Can I claim it on my 2021 taxes? And I already filed but didnt claim the third stimulus.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies