Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I started my 2020 taxes and never filed them. (I even paid for them in turbo tax.) When i go back now to review/edit/file them, there isn't that option any more.

I tried downloading the .tax file but I get an error when trying to download the 2020 turbo tax mac app (the pc works though). Is there not a way to edit this online?!
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I started my 2020 taxes and never filed them. (I even paid for them in turbo tax.) When i go back now to review/edit/file them, there isn't that option any more.

You will be able to access the return you started by using the exact same account and user ID that you used when you started it.   But you can no longer use online software for any further changes.

Online tax preparation and e-filing for 2020 returns is now permanently closed.  Now it is too late to use online software or to e-file. If you have any changes/corrections at all to make to your 2020 return, you now have to complete it using desktop software, which you must download to a full PC or Mac  (not to a mobile device).Then you need to print, sign and mail it.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2559403-how-do-i-finish-a-prior-year-return-that-i-started-in-turb...

If you already paid for your online software you can ask customer support for a download of the desktop software.

They are available from 5 a.m. to 9 p.m. Pacific time Monday-Friday.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263-what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number

If you are getting a refund, there is no penalty for filing late.  If you owe tax due, then file and pay the amount due as shown on the Form 1040, but expect a bill later from the IRS for the penalty and interest you will owe.  Only the IRS will calculate this—TurboTax will not calculate it.

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS/state received the return.

Federal and state returns must be in separate envelopes and they are mailed to different addresses.  Read the mailing instructions that print with your tax return carefully so you mail them to the right addresses.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

5 Replies

You will be able to access the return you started by using the exact same account and user ID that you used when you started it.   But you can no longer use online software for any further changes.

Online tax preparation and e-filing for 2020 returns is now permanently closed.  Now it is too late to use online software or to e-file. If you have any changes/corrections at all to make to your 2020 return, you now have to complete it using desktop software, which you must download to a full PC or Mac  (not to a mobile device).Then you need to print, sign and mail it.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2559403-how-do-i-finish-a-prior-year-return-that-i-started-in-turb...

If you already paid for your online software you can ask customer support for a download of the desktop software.

They are available from 5 a.m. to 9 p.m. Pacific time Monday-Friday.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263-what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number

If you are getting a refund, there is no penalty for filing late.  If you owe tax due, then file and pay the amount due as shown on the Form 1040, but expect a bill later from the IRS for the penalty and interest you will owe.  Only the IRS will calculate this—TurboTax will not calculate it.

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS/state received the return.

Federal and state returns must be in separate envelopes and they are mailed to different addresses.  Read the mailing instructions that print with your tax return carefully so you mail them to the right addresses.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Thanks.

I downloaded the PC version (the Mac version is a dead link). I installed it and downloaded it but now it wants me to pay for the state since I have to file in two states. I already paid for two states online. Very frustrating.

As stated in the reply already given to you---call customer support if you already paid for your software.

I used the online version previously. The correct way to phrase that is to say that I already paid TT to file.

I understand what you are saying though. I guess I will have to wait. Thanks.

@jorge69ijk The reply you received explains to you that if you used online for 2020, and did not file the return, you can get a download for the CD/download software by contacting customer support.   You can no longer use the online software.   You have to complete the 2020 return using the desktop software and install it to a PC or Mac.  If you paid for the  online federal and state software then customer support will provide you with the download.    This is Sunday.   Customer support will be available Monday - Friday.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies