TurboTax FAQ
TurboTax FAQ
336 people found this useful

How do I finish a prior-year return that I started in TurboTax Online?

If you started a 2013, 2014, or 2015 return in TurboTax Online but couldn't file it before the shutdown, start by purchasing the TurboTax CD/Download software and installing it on your computer. Window instructions | Mac instructions

Don't forget to also download and install the appropriate state program(s), if your return includes one or more states. Windows instructions | Mac instructions

Then, follow these steps to finish your online return in the TurboTax software program:

1. Download a copy of your prior-year file  and save it on your computer (we recommend saving to your desktop or My Documents for ease of retrieval).
  2. Open your TurboTax software program, and then choose File > Open Tax Return.
  3. Browse to the tax data file you downloaded in step 1, select it, and then click Open.
  4. You can now finish up your return. You'll need to paper-file, as e-filing for prior years is no longer available.

Note: TurboTax software for tax year 2012 and earlier is no longer available for purchase.

GEN85601