turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I received another w2. but I already have my refund. What do I do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
TyJuan

You will need to file an amended return.

Making a mistake or unintentionally forgetting to report income or take a deduction isn’t the end of the world. In fact, the IRS receives many incomplete returns each tax year, which is why it allows you to make corrections by filing an amended return on Form 1040X.

Before preparing the 1040X, it’s always a good idea to make sure that the statute of limitations won’t prohibit you from filing it. The statute of limitations refers to the amount of time you have to amend a tax return after it’s already filed. Generally, you have three years from the time you file the original return to amend it. The IRS allows you to amend most items on your original tax return, but the changes you make must be permissible under the tax law that applies to the year you are amending.

Common reasons to amend a return are to increase or decrease the income you report, to add or eliminate a deduction and to change your filing status. Preparing the actual 1040X form is fairly straightforward. On the form you will see three columns labeled A, B and C. Column A mirrors the information from your original tax return, column B reports the net change for each line item and column C is the sum of A and B.

For example, if you forgot to include a $1,000 charity donation on Schedule A, you will report the amount of itemized deductions you claim on the original return in column A. In column B you report the increase of $1,000 and column C reflects the updated amount of your itemized deductions.

Whenever you make changes to a form or schedule that you filed with your original return, you must prepare a new one and attach it to the 1040X. The last step is to mail a paper copy of the 1040X to the IRS address listed in the instructions.

If you need to amend a tax return you filed with TurboTax, go to our website at www.turbotax.com and click on the Support tab for instructions.

View solution in original post

17 Replies
TyJuan

You will need to file an amended return.

Making a mistake or unintentionally forgetting to report income or take a deduction isn’t the end of the world. In fact, the IRS receives many incomplete returns each tax year, which is why it allows you to make corrections by filing an amended return on Form 1040X.

Before preparing the 1040X, it’s always a good idea to make sure that the statute of limitations won’t prohibit you from filing it. The statute of limitations refers to the amount of time you have to amend a tax return after it’s already filed. Generally, you have three years from the time you file the original return to amend it. The IRS allows you to amend most items on your original tax return, but the changes you make must be permissible under the tax law that applies to the year you are amending.

Common reasons to amend a return are to increase or decrease the income you report, to add or eliminate a deduction and to change your filing status. Preparing the actual 1040X form is fairly straightforward. On the form you will see three columns labeled A, B and C. Column A mirrors the information from your original tax return, column B reports the net change for each line item and column C is the sum of A and B.

For example, if you forgot to include a $1,000 charity donation on Schedule A, you will report the amount of itemized deductions you claim on the original return in column A. In column B you report the increase of $1,000 and column C reflects the updated amount of your itemized deductions.

Whenever you make changes to a form or schedule that you filed with your original return, you must prepare a new one and attach it to the 1040X. The last step is to mail a paper copy of the 1040X to the IRS address listed in the instructions.

If you need to amend a tax return you filed with TurboTax, go to our website at www.turbotax.com and click on the Support tab for instructions.

Bilqis

Thank you for reaching out to Answer Xchange! I can help.

i e file my tax 2 days ago and is on process, but i received a second w2 form today, what should i do amend my return before i received the refund, or wait for the refund and then amend.. can i avoid the process of amending before the clear up my refund, or i have to mail it.. any suggestions thanks

What if you received the refund and it has been reduced after adding another w2? I am not spending the money on the Netspend Card...will it be returned to IRS? Just printed 1040X and instead of $3000 refund, I should have received only $500. Help!

I need help I already filed my taxes and the next day I go another w2 that I didn't think i was getting how do i file it

TiffanyL
Intuit Alumni

If you have already e-filed your return and received your refund, but have another W-2 you need to file, you would want to use the link provided below to amend your tax return:

How to amend my tax return

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I have another W2 that came after I file how do I file it so it will get Accepted by the IRS.

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

You will need to file an amended return. Here's an article that shows how to amend your return.

How do I amend my 2019 TurboTax Online return? - Community

@Garrettboyz

I amended my return this a.m. with Gordon but failed to download it properly nd now can't print it.  I need to find it so that I can send it to IRS and CT.

CassLO
Intuit Alumni

@Gordonwitherspoon  Please try printing your amendment with the instructions below:

How do I print my amended return if I've closed out of it?

received a 2019 Ammended Forms 1099 but have already filed my 2019 tax return which has been accepted

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

If you need to update anything on your tax return, you will need to amend it. You will have to first wait for your original return to be approved by the IRS and your refund issued (if applicable). Please follow the instructions below.

How do I amend my 2019 TurboTax Online return? - Community

Hey

I received 1099 B from robinhood after i taxfiled with my w2.what should i do now?

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

It depends.

If the amount reported on your 1099-B differs from the amounts reported on your tax return, you will need to file an amended return.

How to amend my return

(Please note, the IRS is not processing paper returns at the moment due to Covid-19 and social distancing policies in effect.)  Therefore, it may take longer than normal to process the amended return.

IRS operations

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies