Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I need to cancel the amended federal return for 2019. I didn’t mail it to the IRS. Can you cancel the amended return at turbo tax?

I don’t need to amend my 2019 return. Please delete the amended version in your database so I can efile my 2020 return!
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

I need to cancel the amended federal return for 2019. I didn’t mail it to the IRS. Can you cancel the amended return at turbo tax?

Please follow the instructions below to cancel your amended return.

How do I cancel or undo an amended return in Turbo...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

8 Replies
AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

Please follow the instructions below to cancel your amended return.

How do I cancel or undo an amended return in Turbo...

How do I get my 2019 federal return?

KatrinaLO
Intuit Alumni

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/prior-year-return/help/how-do-i-access-my-prior-year-return/01/270...

You can't change a 2019 Online return now.  That should not prevent you from filing 2020.  You will need to enter the 2019 AGI from your original return.  Was there something on your Amended return that transferred into 2020 that you need to change?

I don't want to file separately because I then owe taxes.

I originally filed 2019 as Jointly with my wife who does not have a social security number.

After I originally filed and the federal return was accepted the government came out with a stimulus check.

But I was not eligible because of the Cares Act rules, because my wife has an ITIN number.

So I decided to amend my 2019 return so I would be eligible

Then I saw I owed too much money filing separately so I want to delete the amended return

It's too complicated for me

Yesterday I purchased the Turbo Tax 2019 online process again. I purchased the online process last year and now I purchased the online process again yesterday.

I entered my 2019 info again yesterday with the new 2019 online process. It cost me $75.00 again yesterday.

I completed my 2019 tax return again and efiled my 2019 federal and state returns and then I received

emails from the feds and the Oregon state accepting the new return. 

Question: Does this override my 2019 returns and amended returns from last year? That's what I want. I don't want the 2019 amended federal return that shows me filing separately and owes over $800 dollars.

Question: If I file my 2020 return will the AGI for 2019 taxes be from the new 2019 tax return filed and accepted yesterday? Not the AGI from the amended 2019 return? 

Thank you,

Roland

WHOA!  Yesterday?  You can not use online or efile a 2019 return at all.  You might have made a real big mess.  Online is only good for 2020.  And the IRS is not accepting 2020 returns until Feb 12 so I don't know what you could have done.

Regarding the Stimulus payment.  Don't try to fix 2019 to get it.  Just file your 2020 return.  The Stimulus Checks are really based on your 2020 return we are filing in 2021.  So any amount you already got will be reconciled on your 2020 return line 30.  If you didn't get a Stimulus Check (and qualify) or you qualify for more it will be added to your 2020 return.  But the good news is if they paid you too much they won't take it back.

There will be a screen with 2 boxes for each round.  If you didn't get one enter a 0 in the box.

When you go through the federal review tab it will ask how much you got if any.  Or to enter your stimulus payment in TurboTax, type "stimulus" (without the quotes) in the Search box, then click the link that says "Jump to stimulus."

After you have entered your tax information and are ready for the Federal Review, it will be the first question.

If you are trying to trigger it, you can go to Other Situations, answer any questions and click Done. The next automatic selection is Federal Review and it will ask about payments received.

The Recovery rebate credit is on 1040 line 30.  It either adds to your refund or reduced a tax due.

If you did use the online version and entered your 2019 info into it then it got filed on 2020 forms as your 2020 return.

Online is only for 2020.  You have to wait and see if your efile gets accepted when the IRS opens Feb 12.  .  If they reject it for something you can change it around to be only for 2020.

But if they accept it you need to wait some more for it to fully process and you get the first refund.  Then you need to Mail in an Amended 1040X return to change it around to be your real 2020 return.

You can check your efile status here   https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/efile-status-lookup/

How to amend an Online return

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/how-do-i-amend-my-turbotax-online-return/00/

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies