turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Eddieswork2
Returning Member

I filed a dependent accidentally through turbo

I file my girl friends taxes for the last couple of years but this year I accidentally put myself down as her dependent instead of the person filing for her. Then I filed mine and irs and state both rejected it saying I was claimed as a dependent on her taxes, but they said as long as the deadline hasn’t passed even though she received her refund that I could just redo her taxes and not have to file an amended return. Please help me resolve this issue.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Your description of what you did with your return and your GF's return is pretty confusing.  But it sounds like her return was filed claiming you as her dependent for 2019 --- and she should not have claimed you--is that it?

Her return that claimed you has to be amended to remove you as a dependent.  That amended return can only be filed by mail.  Amended returns take months for the IRS to process and are taking even longer now.  

You do not have to wait for her amended return to be processed.  You can file your own return that says you cannot be claimed as someone else's dependent, but your return has to be submitted by mail.  That is because your SSN is already in the system for this year, and that will not change anytime soon.  

You can expect your own mailed return to take longer than usual to be processed, unfortunately.  The IRS is backlogged, and they are not opening or processing mailed returns until later.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/printing/help/how-do-i-print-and-mail-my-return-in-turbotax-online...

MAILED RETURNS

Per the IRS website IRS Operations During COVID-19: Mission-critical functions continueThe IRS is not currently able to process individual paper tax returns. If you already have filed via paper but it has not yet been processed, do not file a second tax return or write to the IRS to inquire about the status of your return or your economic impact payment. Paper returns will be processed  once processing centers are able to reopen. 

If you mail a tax return (or a payment) to the IRS, it is a good idea to use a mailing service that will track it like UPS or certified mail so you will know it was received.

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s. 

TurboTax will not know anything about your mailed return, and will continue to show “Ready to Mail” on your account.  TurboTax will not know that you put your tax return in an envelope and took it to a mailbox.  TurboTax does not get updates on mailed  (or e-filed) returns.

When the IRS finally opens its mail and begins to process mailed returns you can check the status on the IRS site. https://www.irs.gov/refunds

State returns have to be mailed to the state.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899433-how-do-i-track-my-state-refund

For your GF to amend:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1908543-do-i-need-to-amend

How do I amend my 2019 TurboTax Online return?

A 1040X cannot be e-filed.  It must be printed and mailed.  It will take about 4 months for the IRS to process an amended return.  It is a good idea to use a mailing service that will track it, like UPS or certified mail, so you will know it was received.

Wait about 3 weeks from mailing and you can check the status of your amended return:

https://www.irs.gov/Filing/Individuals/Amended-Returns-(Form-1040-X)/Wheres-My-Amended-Return-1

Note:  It will be longer than 3 weeks during the pandemic.

https://www.irs.gov/filing/individuals/amended-returns-form-1040-x/amended-return-frequently-asked-q...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Eddieswork2
Returning Member

I have no way to print an amended return. I have n transportation 

First she has 3 years to file the amended return  and then next ... the IRS is making the 2019 amended return available for efiling soon ... don't know how long it will take for the TT program to get on board so my suggestion is to wait ... check back every couple of weeks.  

In the meantime mail in your return since that is your only option. 

@Eddieswork2 TurboTax cannot solve your lack of printing ability problem.  That is up to you to problem-solve your way through.  Perhaps a friend, relative  or neighbor would allow you to use their printer.  You could save the tax file to a flash drive and print it from any computer that has a printer.  And of course there are retail places like Staples, Kinko's , UPS stores, etc. that have printers you can use.  Public libraries often have computers with printers....there are ways for you to print.  In your earlier post you said your own return was rejected because of the way you and your GF filed, and you cannot e-file this year.  Your only way to file is to print, sign and mail your return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies