turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I already filed my taxes and my unemployment was taxed. Now I am reading that up to $10000 shouldn't have been taxed. Will I get that back? Do I need to amend my return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

17 Replies
MinhT1
Employee Tax Expert

I already filed my taxes and my unemployment was taxed. Now I am reading that up to $10000 shouldn't have been taxed. Will I get that back? Do I need to amend my return?

No, you do not have to amend your tax return.

In the next few weeks, the IRS will automatically process refunds for individuals who paid taxes on their unemployment benefits before the law was passed on March 11.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I had state taxes withheld from it but then was taxed on my return for federal. Does this mean it will be adjusted for both or is it only federal?

BillM223
Employee Tax Expert

The IRS will not adjust your state taxes - indeed, not all states have decided if they will waive the first $10,200 of unemployment yet.

What is your state?

West Virginia

ToddL99
Expert Alumni

West Virginia has not exempted 2020 unemployment from state tax - yet.

On Friday, March 19, West VA Gov. Justice announced that he has submitted a bill to the Legislature to exempt the first $10,200 of unemployment benefits received last year by West Virginians from the state income tax for the 2020 tax filing year.

As soon as the IRS and states issues instructions on how to report newly-exempt 2020 unemployment payments, TurboTax will make the necessary updates to its programs.

For customers who have already filed: How do I get the new unemployment benefits if I’ve already filed my taxes? 

BobMcHenry
Returning Member

Any idea of when West Virginia will be updated to remove 2020 unemployment benefits from state taxable income?

Jsmith18

Is there an ETA on WHEN the IRS will do the calculation and send the additional funds for the federal taxes on the unemployment tax?  This income is critically needed as there is no money coming into the household right now.  

Here is why you do NOT amend your return for unemployment:

Please read this very recent news from the IRS:

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-to-recalculate-taxes-on-unemployment-benefits-refunds-to-start-in-m...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I have emailed the Governor's office several times with this question. Has it been passed through legislation yet? 

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

According to the WV tax site here, the exclusion has been passed for WV.  You will need to amend your WV tax return to claim the exclusion. You should do so without amending your federal return since the IRS will be making those changes for you. 

Sign in to your TurboTax account.  Select the "Add a state" option.  This will allow you back in to your return without amending the Federal.  Go to the state interview and continue throught the interview to near the end to find the page "Amend a 2020 WV return."  You will start there with "yes".

Wow thank you so much for that information!!! I will take care of this 

Will turbotax show me what to change? I am afraid to get in there and not know what to change on the information. Do I just deduct $10,200 from my amount of income or what?

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

TurboTax has already made the updates so you will first have to reverse those to get your return to it's original state. 

1. In the federal interview in the Unemployment topic edit your 1099G by adding 10,200 to the benefits box 1. 
  2. Then go to state interview and proceed to the amendment page and select "yes". 
  3. Put in the applicable information from your original return (refund or amount paid). 
  4. Select "yes" for additional changes.
  5. Then go back to the 1099G entry in your federal interview and subtract the 10,200 back out from the benefits.
  6. Select state in the left hand menu and continue your WV return.
  7. Select you'll choose what to work on
  8. Done with WV return at the bottom of the page..
  9. Continue to completion

jamlum

Michigan

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies