turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

I accidentally sent in more money than I owed. Can I get it back?

Where in this year taxes do I apply my over payment for 2019

@Histeria2020 wrote:

Where in this year taxes do I apply my over payment for 2019

To enter, change or delete a refund from the prior year applied to this years taxes (Federal, State, Local) -

Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
Click on Deductions and Credits
Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
Scroll down to Estimates and Other Taxes Paid
On Other Income Taxes, click on the start or update button

On the next screen select the options under 2019 Refund Applied to 2020

Or enter refund applied to this year in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to refund applied to this year

The prior year refund amount applied is shown on Form 1040 Line 26

this just happened to me too. I elected to pay via TurboTax the day after I did my taxes but it didn't post to my account so a couple days later I paid IRS manually thru their site. Then they were finally paid again via TurboTax. I am now overdrawn and will incur penalties. This is a confusing aspect of TurboTax and needs to be fixed! There was no info anywhere as to the status of my payment to the IRS via TurboTax.

Turbo Tax doesn't pay or send your tax due.  It only transmits your bank info to the IRS.  Then the IRS debits your account on the date you specified or later.  It may take them longer to pull it and they have extended the due date to May 17.  I don't think they ever debit your account right away as soon as you file.  You need to give them time to process your return and payment.

Same scenario as some: When the IRS didn't take my money by the 15th, I also panicked and went to IRS.GOV and submitted a payment. This means I paid my remaining taxes twice.

Spoke to a nice lady at the IRS, she said that assuming I designated the money correctly (e.g., pay 2020 taxes) which I did (as opposed to estimated taxes), they will catch the overpayment while processing my return and automatically issue a refund. Eventually. She did say that it usually takes several weeks or a couple of months for the refund. She also noted that I can call back after a while and they'll verify that they caught the overpayment.

No need for 1040X or any other form in this particular case, it's automatic.

All balance due returns are on the back burner right now while the IRS concentrates  on returns with refunds,  processing the pile of 2019 returns they still need to attend to and  putting out third stimulus checks all while continuing to be understaffed due to covid.  

The account will be debited on or AFTER the date you selected WHEN they finally get around to processing your return which may take months.   If the debit did not happen yet and you already paid online then it is possible they will not debit the account a second time.  If they did then it could take months for them to catch the overpayment and refund the excess.  All one can do is wait patiently.  

Hi there, I've just had the same exact thing happen! How long did it take for you to receive your money back? Did you have to do anything? Thanks for any info you can provide.

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

Anytime you have an overpayment to the IRS, the money is first applied to any outstanding balances then refunded.  This year I cannot say how long that would take as this is a very different year for processing tax returns.  You can just be assured you will receive proper credit for the overpayment.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Did you ever resolve this issue? The same thing happened to me. 

Yes! It took a bit of time but the IRS sent me a cheque.

@mfiori what did you do?! Or did you just wait and they sent it on their own. 

@mfioriYes same question, please.  Did you have to request it to be refunded? 

I accidentally sent IRS a 2020 payment too.  Can't get a hold of them on the phone.  They already  issued my normal refund amount for 2020 4 weeks ago.  But the automated phone info says my over-payment is sitting in my account as a "credit".  I don't know how to get it refunded back.  AARGH  . ty!

Hi!  I received my 2020 tax refund, but IRS has kept my over-payment as a "credit" in my account.  How do I get that portion refunded?  Ty!

kaasare47

I accidentally sent my due tax payment to IRS and IRS went back to my account and took the money again, making it double payment. How do i get the overpayment back from IRS please? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies