turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

I accidentally sent in more money than I owed. Can I get it back?

Ok ... sounds like you paid after asking for the balance due to be debited on the return ... effectively paying twice.  So all you can do now is WAIT for the IRS to process your return to see the excess payment and refund the overpayment ... they will do this automatically however it could take a long time.  

@StarF421  Same problem here. Have you resolved it yet? Thank you so much! 

I got my normal refund in early July, but 3 months past, my overpayment of a few thousand $ are still kept in my "married jointly return" account as "credit". Problem is I just got divorced and will file 2022 tax separately.  any one can help how to get the overpayment refunded? 

@Cynthiad66 any help will be greatly appreciated!! 

akazinzin

Hello,

I made the mistake of sending my payment to the IRS twice. This happened in February 2021. I still have not received my duplicate payment back. I can’t get anyone on the phone, I get a recording and it just hanged up on me. What do I do when I need to file my taxes in 2022? 

First this doesn't affect the 2021 return at all.

Next you can check your account online at the IRS to see what they have "on account" :    https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript

Finally, there is not much you can do but wait for the IRS to catch up and send a notice of the overpayment and the refund check.  

If you want to try calling best wait until later this month  when the new filings have stopped and the phone lines are not as busy :   

Call the IRS at 800-829-1040  between 7 AM - 7 PM local time Monday-Friday

• Choose # for language preference, then listen for brief recorded message about refunds. 
  • When prompted, choose option 2 for "personal income tax" (DO NOT choose option 1, "Refund" or you will be sent to an automated line/message and have to start over)
  • Next, press the following sequence in order - 1, 3, 2 
  • You will then be asked to enter your SSN or EIN twice.  DO NOTHING - JUST WAIT until new menu options are presented.
  • Then, press 2, 1, 3   Unless call volume is excessive (at which point you will hear a recording and be disconnected), this sequence will put you in queue for an agent to assist with providing details of an existing payment or installment arrangement.  

OK, an update: The overpayment was definitely shown on the IRS website (see the post above; create an account). After waiting several months, I decided to phone the IRS again. It took quite a bit of persistence and many, many hang-up-and-dial-again efforts. Eventually - like an hour later - I spoke to another nice lady at the IRS and she did find the overpayment and that my refund for that was supposed to have been issued way back when I first spoke to them, but for an unknown reason the payment did not process.  She re-initiated the process and said a check (or direct deposit) will arrive in 6-8 weeks.

If not for an unknown holdup, I'd have my check already. Of course, mid-October is a BAD DAY for the IRS, so wait a while before trying to get in touch with them. I'm waiting until Thanksgiving and if I don't have my check I'll call them again.

Bottom line: They'll get to it, in their efficient-government way.

Update: I called IRS many many times as @Critter-3 instructed. Finally caught hold of an agent almost 7pm on one evening. He said he has initiated the refund check process.

Thank you very much @Critter-3 !! 

Slugger84
Returning Member

@akazinzin Try calling the IRS using the method explained on this thread by critter

I just kept calling every day (using the steps explained here)  for 2 weeks and I finally reached someone and they were so kind and they refunded me. It took a while (a month or so) for the check to come but it came! Best of luck. 

I'm still waiting for mine... submitted in April, currently November. My account history on the IRS site says they noticed the duplicate payment, but has been pending additional action since July 26th..

Call the IRS: 1-800-829-1040 hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Monday-Friday
When calling the IRS do NOT choose the first option re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.
So after first choosing your language, then do NOT choose Option 1 (refund info). Choose option 2 for "personal income tax" instead.
Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".
Then press 3 "for all other questions."
Then press 2 "for all other questions."
- When it asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, don't enter anything.
- After it asks twice, you will get another menu.

Press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.
Then press 4 for all other inquiries
It should then transfer you to an agent.

Back in 2020 when I filed my taxes i accidentally paid 2k for my federal taxes instead of state. State reached out to me to let me know so I paid state 2k but now I should be owed 2k back for overpaying federal. I can’t get ahold of the irs offices ever. Does anyone have any advice it’s been a year now

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

@Lindseymhenderson

For this, you will need to reach out to the IRS.  I suggest trying to call right when they open.  Here are some helpful steps below to assist you getting through to a live agent:

To call the IRS: 800-829-1040  hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Mon-Fri

• Listen to each menu before making the selection.
  • First choose your language. Press 1 for English.
  • Then do NOT choose the first choice re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.
  • Instead, press 2 for "personal income tax".
  • Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".  
  • Then press 3 "for all other questions."
  • Then press 2 "for all other questions."  It should then transfer you to an agent.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
kvemula

Did you ever get your overpayment back? I am in a similar situation and I never received any refund after several months

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

If you haven't received your refund, please see the Help Article here for more assistance. 

@kvmula

A year later and I have not received it... 

I submitted it as an overpayment on this year's return, but they kicked it back saying my return was wrong. 

They sent a letter to call... I've been trying to get through on the number they stated in the letter, and the number listed above, but keep getting the message they are too busy - try again on the next business day. Several times a day. Very frustrating.

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

If you need to contact the IRS, you will need to follow the instructions here. The earlier in the day you try the easier it can be to get through. @Tmil043

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies