Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

I accidentally sent in more money than I owed. Can I get it back?

No I haven’t and it’s been over a year. 

thanks for your comment... same issue here in 2022 but I cannot locate info on recovery.  Cannot figure how to amend return to recover either.  We must be the only folks that have had this problem?

HelpWithTaxes-
Returning Member

I paid the amount that turbo tax said I owed when I filed 2021s taxes but I got a letter from the irs saying I owed more than twice as much still. Can I be connected with a tax agent again on the phone to explain the info? It said the amount turbo tax had me pay was labeled under "unpaid amount".

@HelpWithTaxes- - did the letter indicate a reason?  By any chance did it mention the Recovery Rebate Credit or the Advance Child Tax Credit?

how much more do you owe? please be exact 

HelpWithTaxes-
Returning Member

No it even showed my incorrect calculations as being identical to theirs. The original TurboTax figure was 650 and they said i owed 2000.

Interesting ... that is about 1400 which is the amount of the possible stimulus credit on line 30 of the form 1040 ...  if this is the case you need to pay the IRS asap to stop the interest/penalty from accruing. 

If so in the program  ...  Answering No on the question asking if you received a 3rd stimulus payment means you told TurboTax that you did not receive any payments.

In that case, TurboTax would add an amount on line 30 Form 1040 because you said you never received any stimulus money  but if the IRS disagrees they would remove the credit amount.  

So... if you never received a stimulus deposit or check—and the IRS records show  they paid you—then you should ask the IRS to trace your payment.  Many payments were sent and not cashed so a trace is the only option available to you.  Some were sent on debit cards that looked like junk mail and many folks thru them  in the trash.    If the payment was never cashed ONLY THEN can you send in an amended return to claim the credit and attach the findings letter with the 1040X form. 

The fastest way to initiate a trace is to contact the IRS by calling us at 800-919-9835.

You can also complete Form 3911:

• Write "EIP3" on the top of the form to identify the payment you want to trace.
  • Complete the form answering all refund questions as they relate to your Economic Impact Payment.
  • When completing item 7 under Section 1:
    • Check the box for "Individual" as the Type of return
    • Enter "2021" as the Tax Period
    • Do not write anything for the Date Filed
  • Sign the form. If you file married filing jointly, both spouses must sign the form.

You will generally receive a response 6 weeks after we receive your request for a payment trace, but there may be delays due to limited staffing. 

HelpWithTaxes-
Returning Member

Wouldn't that be stated in the cp11 if it was the case? That's the strange part, I don't see any conclusive data on this paper. Do you think the local irs office would be able to help? 

HelpWithTaxes-
Returning Member

I've checked again and it states the reason the affected area of the return is Recovery Rebate Credit. Assuming I paid the 650 after the deadline and they sent this notice before I paid the 650, would that explain why they listed the 650 as "Unpaid amount"?

I assumed this notice was sent after I had already paid the 650. If that 650 is now just extra and I paid the total 2000 they stated on the cp11, will they be sending me back any extra amount I paid?

sw78669

I overpaid my taxes for the past 5 years.  Can I get a refund?

What do you mean you overpaid them?  Did you send in more than the Tax Due on your return?  Did you not take a deduction or credit?  Did you report too much income?  

Did you file returns for the last 5 years ?    If not do so now but be aware that refunds for 2018 or earlier will NOT be issued.  

Yes I've filed returns.  But they keep just sending the new return $amount, but not including that overpayment that's still sitting there in my taxpayer account.  Thank you!!!

Hello!  What happened was I used eFile figures which calculated I owed money, so I paid electronically at that time without sending the return yet (there were glitches) .  So I completed the tax filing "by hand" and found more credits I was eligible to take.  And didn't owe anything, but rather received a refund.  But they never sent back my original payment with the refund. And the same for 2021 filing...I received my refund, but not that over payment.  Strange!   Thanks for taking the time to inquire 🙂

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Please reach out to the IRS to inquire about the status of your original payment. You can contact them by following the steps in this help article: How do I contact the Internal Revenue Service (IRS)?

@StarF421

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies