Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Kiki
Level 4

How to save my tax 2022 after e-filed with CD/Download for next year to transfer into TT online version 2023

Please someone explain what exactly  I should do to save correctly to transfer my tax 2022 to TT online or/and CD/download version.

I've been using TT online for past 8 years, but I purchased CD/download last year for 2021 and e-filed.  I saved it in my PC file. This year, I couldn't transfer into TT online 2022 from my saved tax 2021. So I had to enter all information, everything from scrap. I have a lost of different accounts and so much time and work I had to spend.

I don't want to make the same mistake.

I am about ready to file my tax for 2022.

I am not familiar with high tech devices like younger people so if you can explain simple/easy steps for me, it would be appreciated greatly.

Thank you very much for your time and help in advance.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How to save my tax 2022 after e-filed with CD/Download for next year to transfer into TT online version 2023

It's always a good idea to make a backup copy of your tax data file, in case your original gets lost or corrupted. Here's how:

1. From the File menu in the upper-left corner of TurboTax, choose Save As (Windows) or Save (Mac).
  2. Browse to where you want to save your backup.
    • Tip: If you're saving to a portable device, save it to your computer first to prevent data corruption. Then, after completing Step 4, copy or move the backup file to your device.
  3. In the File name field, enter a name that will distinguish it from the original tax file (for example, add "Backup" or "Copy" to the file name)
  4. Click Save and then close TurboTax.
  5. Restart TurboTax and open the backup copy to make sure it's not corrupted. If you get an error, delete the backup and repeat these steps.

If you make changes to your original tax return file, repeat these steps to ensure your original and backup copies are in-synch.

Related Information:                             

AND save it as a PDF so you have access to a copy even if you don’t have the program still installed and operational :

AND protect the files :

View solution in original post

8 Replies

See this TurboTax support FAQ for how to transfer the tax file from the CD/Download edition from the prior tax year to the TurboTax online editions for the current tax year - https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/import-export-data-files/transfer-last-y...

It's too late now to transfer from 2021 Desktop into 2022 Online version but we probably could have helped you.  I can't tell which one you used for 2022 and what you want to use next year.

If you used the Online version for 2022 and want to use Online next year you just log into this same account and it should automatically transfer. 

If you used the Online version this year and want to go back to the Desktop CD/Download program next year you will need to save the .tax2022 file from online to transfer.  

Save the tax file

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/saving/help/how-do-i-save-my-turbotax-online-return-as-a-tax-data-...

Kiki
Level 4

dominGA and VolvoGirl Thank you for your reply, 

I used CD version last year (tax 2021) and filed.  I couldn't transfer my tax 2021 into online for 2022 because I couldn't find my saved 2021 tax with format .tax in my PC.  (I have my saved tax 2021 with format .pdf but the pdf didn't work)

My question is

How to save my tax with format .tax after/when submission my tax with CD/Download version?

So, I can transfer 2022 tax data into 2023 online next year.

I found how to save tax online version but I can't find for CD/Download version.

Thank you so much for your help again.

Thank you so much for your time again!  Have a great weekend.

You shouldn't have to do anything to save the .tax2022 file.   Just exit the  program., it should ask if you want to save.  Are you on Windows?  Go up to File-Save or Save As.    Then it should be in your Documents in a Turbo Tax folder.   Search your computer for all files ending in .tax or .tax2022 to make sure you know where it is and the name.  And copy it to a flash drive for backup in case your computer crashes.   

It's always a good idea to make a backup copy of your tax data file, in case your original gets lost or corrupted. Here's how:

1. From the File menu in the upper-left corner of TurboTax, choose Save As (Windows) or Save (Mac).
    • Tip: If you're saving to a portable device, save it to your computer first to prevent data corruption. Then, after completing Step 4, copy or move the backup file to your device.
  3. In the File name field, enter a name that will distinguish it from the original tax file (for example, add "Backup" or "Copy" to the file name)
  5. Restart TurboTax and open the backup copy to make sure it's not corrupted. If you get an error, delete the backup and repeat these steps.

If you make changes to your original tax return file, repeat these steps to ensure your original and backup copies are in-synch.

Related Information:                             

AND save it as a PDF so you have access to a copy even if you don’t have the program still installed and operational :

AND protect the files :

Kiki
Level 4

Critter-3,  THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR DETAILS INFORMATION.

This is remarkable explanation I save it in my personal document so I can check it again for the future.

Thank so much for your time to explain step by step with using simple words. 

Here is more to save  :

This is my mini version of  a tutorial  that should be in the downloaded program: 

What is Forms Mode?

Forms Mode lets you view and make changes to your tax forms "behind the scenes."

If you're adventurous, you can even prepare your return in Forms Mode, but we don't recommend it. You may miss obscure credits and deductions you qualify for, and you may forget to report things that will come back and haunt you later.

Forms Mode is exclusively available in the TurboTax CD/Download software. It is not available in TurboTax Online.

Related Information:

If you want to play around with different figures and tax scenarios without affecting your original return you can ….

• >>>In the TurboTax CD/Download software by creating a test copy
  • 1.  Open your return in TurboTax. 
  • 2.  From the File menu, choose Save As. 
  • 3.  Give the copy a new name to distinguish it from the original (for example, by adding "Test" or "Example" to the file name). 
  • 4. Click  Save. You are now safely working in the test copy and anything you do here will not affect the original. 
  •  https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900642-how-to-make-a-test-copy-of-your-return

• >>  use the WHAT IF tool: 
  • - Click Forms Icon (upper right of screen) or Ctrl 2 (forms view) 
  • - Click on the Open Form Icon 
  • - In the “Type a form name.” area type What-If (with the dash), click on the name of the worksheet - click on Open Form 
  • - You will see the worksheet on the right side of the screen; enter the information right into the form 
  • - To get back to interview mode - click on the Step-by-Step Icon (upper right of screen) or Ctrl 1

Once you have filed successfully … you can shut off the auto updater function and then save the return &  .taxfile.

For Windows, up in the top menu, you  can set the  "Updater Preferences" to "Always Ask" or more commonly set to "I don't have an internet connection"  (even if you do), and then you are not forced to update....and can manually force an update when you choose to do so.   And then you can open the file(s) at any time with no forced upgrade.

But that's the Windows software.....not a MAC. For a MAC you cannot turn off the auto updater  HOWEVER  you can simply disconnect from the internet before opening the tax return.

Related Information:                             

AND protect the files :

*** Other clues to the downloaded program ***

In the forms mode ... double click  or right click on a box on a form to data source it ... sadly it doesn't work on all boxes. 

What's the meaning of all the different colors in Forms Mode?

When you look at an onscreen tax form using Forms Mode, you might wonder why one figure is blue and the one next to it is red or black.

These colors indicate the source of that data.

Color

Meaning

Blue

You entered this data, either in the interview or Forms Mode.

Black

The program entered this data or calculated this amount.

Red

This data has either been overridden or is invalid (for example, a ZIP code that doesn't exist).

Red italics

You marked this amount as estimated.

Black italics

The program calculated this amount from an amount you marked as estimated.

Purple

This information has supporting details.

Aquamarine

This data was transferred over from last year.

Green

This data was imported from Quicken or QuickBooks.

Yellow fields (Windows)

Yellow fields allow user input. Anything you enter here shows up in blue.

PRIOR YEAR USE OF A SUPPORTING DETAILS WORKSHEET :

If you find you have a  $0  in an entry field that cannot be changed … this issue is almost always one in which you used a "Supporting Details"  (SD) sheet in that field in the prior year.   What happens is that when you transfer in the prior year's data, the SD sheet is transferred too, but empty...and that causes the $0 to show up in many areas of the Step-by-Step mode interview....wherever the SD sheet was used before.

But when switching to Forms Mode, when you try to enter a $$ amount in a field where the SD sheet is attached, the SD sheet will pop up immediately, and you can either enter the $$ amount on that sheet, or delete the SD sheet entirely and avoid future issues (unless you really want the SD sheet)

Sometimes, when you see the $0 in Step-by-Step, you can just

1. a)  double-click on the field and the SD sheet will pop up.  But I've seen that doesn't work in all cases.

1. b)  Another way is to click on the field, then go up to the menu..."<<Edit<<<Add Supporting Details"....then the SD sheet pops up and you can use it, or delete the SD sheet entirely and then the regular field will work properly.

1. c)  OR  click on the problem field, then switch to Forms Mode to make that entry

Kiki
Level 4

Dear. Critter-3

Wow, it's very impressive.
I really appreciate it.   And I am sure that your kind and details explanation helps some other people as well.

Bunch of Thanks!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies