turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to Properly Correct My 2020 e-File

My e-File was filed with TurboTax Online, but not yet sent to the government or accepted. Through the online forms, I was able to go into my taxes and adjust my information on my filing, but the information on my Tax Home still reports the erroneous amount, not the amount post-correction (which the corrected amount should result in an 8% smaller return). From what I found, my corrections should not require the 1040 amend a tax return form as it had not been sent to the IRS yet (and will not be for 10 more days according to TurboTax). [EDIT: My e-File status according to TurboTax Online says "Pending".]

My correction was filing my 1099-NEC which I forgot about at the initial time of filing a week ago. I only remembered I did delivery driving when the form arrived in the mail, which means the information I originally filed was true to the best of my knowledge at the time. Now that I know better, I want to ensure my taxes accurately reflect my updated information in order to ensure I receive my appropriate tax return on time.

What I want to know is do I need to do anything in particular to correct my filing, or will TurboTax update my Tax Home on its own to reflect the correct information?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AmyC
Employee Tax Expert

Your tax home shows what you sent in. You filled out tax forms and sent them into limbo to wait for the IRS to open February 12. Once the IRS opens, they have 48 hours to accept or reject your return.

• If they reject, correct the issue and refile.
  • If they accept, file a corrected return.

Once your return is accepted and the finances are settled, you can file an amended return. 

• Save a copy of the original return before doing an amended return. See: 
  • Pay additional tax. Taxpayers who will owe more tax should file Form 1040-X and pay the tax as soon as possible to avoid penalties and interest. They should consider using IRS Direct Pay to pay any tax directly from a checking or savings account for free.
  • Use separate forms if amending more than one tax year.
  • Track amended return status online. Taxpayers can track the status of their amended tax return in English and Spanish using Where’s My Amended Return?  Amended returns take up to 16 weeks to process and up to three weeks from the date of mailing to show up in the system.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
AmyC
Employee Tax Expert

Your tax home shows what you sent in. You filled out tax forms and sent them into limbo to wait for the IRS to open February 12. Once the IRS opens, they have 48 hours to accept or reject your return.

• If they reject, correct the issue and refile.
  • If they accept, file a corrected return.

Once your return is accepted and the finances are settled, you can file an amended return. 

• Save a copy of the original return before doing an amended return. See: 
  • Pay additional tax. Taxpayers who will owe more tax should file Form 1040-X and pay the tax as soon as possible to avoid penalties and interest. They should consider using IRS Direct Pay to pay any tax directly from a checking or savings account for free.
  • Use separate forms if amending more than one tax year.
  • Track amended return status online. Taxpayers can track the status of their amended tax return in English and Spanish using Where’s My Amended Return?  Amended returns take up to 16 weeks to process and up to three weeks from the date of mailing to show up in the system.

It sounds like you are saying my only choice is to wait it out. That is unfortunate, but if that's what I have to do, then there's no helping that. Thank you.

elea-5064

my 2020 tax was rejected due to my AGI and how can i correct this problem. 

EbonyL122824
Intuit Alumni

See this TurboTax FAQ for more information. If you need further assistance, contact customer support here.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies