turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

TiffanyL
Intuit Alumni

How to check the status of a mailed paper return you already sent?

If you have mailed your tax return, you can begin checking the status of your return, using the Where's My Refund? site, 4 weeks after you have mailed your return. You would only want to contact the IRS about your mailed return if it's been 6 weeks or more since you have mailed your return, using the link provided below:

IRS Customer Support

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Dominica313
Returning Member

I just want to know have you Receive my tax return yet

Dominica313
Returning Member

So how would I know you got my taxes by mail 

CassLO
Intuit Alumni

@Dominica313 The IRS asks you wait 4 weeks after you mail your return before looking up your refund at Where's My Refund?. You would not know when the IRS receives your tax return by mail unless you used a return confirmation service when mailing them.

To check your refund status on the Where's My Refund? site, you will need your social security number, filing status, and refund amount in order to track your refund. Be sure to enter only the Federal Refund amount and not the total amount that includes the State refund. The amount to enter is on your Federal form 1040, line 21a.

If you paid any fees out of your Federal refund, use the refund figure prior to the deduction of the fees.

Please see the link below for more information:

When will I get my IRS tax refund?

How long did it take for your check to come in the mail after your bank sent it back? And did your refund status change

JakailaLO
Intuit Alumni

@Cherellej10- it is not possible to answer this since returns are processed differently. However, may want to contact the IRS about situation:

IRS Customer Support

Ajohn481

How do i know if irs receive my mailed in taxes paper

@Ajohn481

TurboTax will not know anything about your mailed return, and will continue to show “Ready to Mail” on your account.  TurboTax will not know that you put your tax return in an envelope and took it to a mailbox.  TurboTax does not get updates on mailed  (or e-filed) returns.

Wait about 4 weeks from when you mail a return and then you can check the status on the IRS site. https://www.irs.gov/refunds

State returns have to be mailed to the state.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899433-how-do-i-track-my-state-refund

If you mail a tax return (or a payment) to the IRS, it is a good idea to use a mailing service that will track it like UPS or certified mail so you will know it was received.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
fastlen1944
Returning Member

how do I check the status of a mailed in tax return already sent

@fastlen1944 Did you read the replies in the thread you posted to?  Like the one above your own post?

But if you mailed it recently:

Per the IRS website IRS Operations During COVID-19: Mission-critical functions continueThe IRS is not currently able to process individual paper tax returns. If you already have filed via paper but it has not yet been processed, do not file a second tax return or write to the IRS to inquire about the status of your return or your economic impact payment. Paper returns will be processed  once processing centers are able to reopen. 

TurboTax will not know anything about your mailed return, and will continue to show “Ready to Mail” on your account.  TurboTax will not know that you put your tax return in an envelope and took it to a mailbox.  TurboTax does not get updates on mailed  (or e-filed) returns.

When the IRS finally opens its mail and begins to process mailed returns you can check the status on the IRS site. https://www.irs.gov/refunds

State returns have to be mailed to the state.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899433-how-do-i-track-my-state-refund

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Jpc19

It's been 4 weeks since I mailed my taxes but the where my refund doesnt show anything

Once again as posted above....

They are not processing mailed returns right now.

See this IRS page updated April 10, 2020

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue

It says.......

Paper Tax Returns: All taxpayers should file electronically through their tax preparer, tax software provider or IRS Free File if possible. The IRS is not currently able to process individual paper tax returns. If you already have filed via paper but it has not yet been processed, do not file a second tax return or write to the IRS to inquire about the status of your return or your economic impact payment. Paper returns will be processed   once processing centers are able to reopen. This year, more than 90% of taxpayers have filed electronically.

My refund has been done and sent  since February it should not take this long.  As  I had a deadline when to get the taxes done  as well as the refund should be done.   The IRS says it take up to 8 weeks.

@Gaylepease The iRS was saying that before we were in the midst of a pandemic and before they knew that along with processing millions of income tax returns they would also be responsible for processing and sending out millions of stimulus checks.   Frustrating as it is, it is now taking longer.  Sorry.

Per the IRS website IRS Operations During COVID-19: Mission-critical functions continueThe IRS is not currently able to process individual paper tax returns. If you already have filed via paper but it has not yet been processed, do not file a second tax return or write to the IRS to inquire about the status of your return or your economic impact payment. Paper returns will be processed  once processing centers are able to reopen. 

Yes I had to send my taxes off Thur mail because I didn’t receive the PIN number they have next to my Social security number 

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies