turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

How can I recover a deleted tax return?

@jhluyt wrote:

How can I recover my 2019 tax files in order to use information for my 2020 taxes

You have to sign onto your 2019 online account using the exact same User ID you used to create the online account.

Close all TurboTax windows on your web browser (including this one).  Copy and paste the account recovery website link onto a new web browser window and run the tool.

Use this TurboTax account recovery website to get a list of all the User ID's for an email address.  Run the tool against any email addresses you may have used - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/account-recovery

If none of the user ID's received will access your 2019 account, then use the option shown in blue on the account recovery website, "Try something else"

If you used the desktop CD/Download editions installed on your computer, the only copy of your tax data file and any PDF's will be on the computer where the return was created.  TurboTax does not store online any returns completed using the desktop editions.

To access your prior year tax returns sign onto the TurboTax website with the User ID you used to create the account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and on the section Your tax returns & documents click on Show.  Click on the Year and Click on Download/print return (PDF)

fmezzadri
Returning Member

I DELETED MY TAX RETURN LAST WEEK. I don't know how to recover it.

fmezzadri
Returning Member

it was a disk version federal and nj returns. Thank you,

fmezzadri
Returning Member

I do not know.

need to recover and transfer my 2019 tax return.

Are you using the Desktop program?  Windows or Mac?

You need to have the file ending in .tax2019 to transfer in to 2020.  Are you on Windows?  It should be in your Documents then in a Turbo Tax folder.  Or search your whole computer for all files ending in .tax or .tax2019.  And check your Recycle Bin.  Are you on Windows 10?  That can move files to different spots like to One Drive.  Or to Drop Box.  Check your backups.  Could it be under a different user on your computer?   

If you don't have the main .tax file you might have one that starts with a Tilde sign ~ like  "~your name.tax2019".  That file is if your computer crashes or your real file gets lost or deleted or corrupt so you can restore it.

Here's an idea.  Do you still have 2019 installed?  Try opening 2019 program and see if you can get your 2019 return to show up in it.  Go to FILE -  OPEN.  See if it is the right one.  Then save it again with a name and place you can find.  Go to File - Save As.

wilmawinters
Returning Member

We thought all the files were saved on my desk top but we are unable to access any of them says error 109

You mean error 190?  You have the files ending in .tax2019 (or whatever year)?

If your .tax2019 File has any state returns in it you need to first download the state program.

After you get the program installed the first thing to do before you open your tax return is to update the program and install any state programs you had. Then open your file. So you first might need to start a fake return to be able to download the state program (go to FILE - NEW TAX RETURN)

Then go to FILE -Open and find your return.

See error 190

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/bugs-and-error-messages/help/error-190-when-opening-file-in-turbot...

tlesc888

I can't find the 2019 tax return only a pdf.

tlesc888

I used Home & Business, download from Costco. Windows 10, Adobe DC Pro.

frank901

deleted my return, looked in trashcan, no can find. 

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

@frank901 Your tax return may be gone if you did not save a back up copy. See Champ @DoninGA's answer to How do I recover lost file, while working on 2018 return with Deluxe, when almost done. Does Intuit ...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

And See this post.  This user found his files in the Administrator account

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/all-my-turbo-tax-information-is-missing-where-did...

I used 2019 home and business CD on my personal computer.

I am working on my 2020 tax return but accidently deleted 2019 Self-employment income and expenses.  How can I retrieve the information

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies