turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

paigetosh
Returning Member

How can I get the recovery rebate credit if I accidentally filled as a dependent in 2019 when I was not? Should I amend 2019 tax return? IRS has no answers for me!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

19 Replies

How can I get the recovery rebate credit if I accidentally filled as a dependent in 2019 when I was not? Should I amend 2019 tax return? IRS has no answers for me!

To get the first 2 stimulus payments you must file a 2020 return even if you have no income but you cannot be claimed as a dependent.  Filing the 2020 return will release the third stimulus payment once it is processed.  The 2019 return is immaterial at this time. 

paigetosh
Returning Member

I did put it on my 2020 return but the IRS took it away since I put I was a dependent in 2019 even though I was not. So I wasn’t eligible for the payment because I was a dependent but it was a mistake. I was not a dependent in 2019. 

The IRS is not using 2019 returns to determine if you get the EIP payments now.  They are only using 2020 tax returns.   Your 2019 return is not going to be used now and amending it would have no effect on getting the stimulus payments.

Use the recovery rebate credit on your 2020 return if you are not anyone's dependent for 2020

The stimulus check is an advance on a credit you can receive on your 2020 tax return.  If something went wrong or you did not get the stimulus check in 2020, you can get it when you file your 2020 return in early 2021

The Recovery Rebate Credit will be found in the FEDERAL REVIEW section. ( you should see "Let's make sure you got the right stimulus amount”)  If you are eligible it will end up on line 30 of your 2020 Form 1040.

Make sure that you enter ALL of the stimulus money received for the 1st and 2nd stimulus for yourself, your spouse and your children.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/economic-impact-payment-information-center-topic-j-reconciling-on-your-...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901539-how-do-i-preview-my-turbotax-online-return-before-filing

Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the screen. Click on Tools. Click on View Tax Summary. Click on Preview my 1040 on the left side of the screen.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
paigetosh
Returning Member

I think you are not understanding me. When I filed my 2019 return I marked I was a dependent even though I was not. This means for the first 2 payments in 2020 I was not seen as eligible because I put I was a dependent. I filed my 2020 return with no dependent claim and added the recovery rebate. The IRS adjusted my return to not include the $1,800 because I was a dependent in 2019. So if I change my 2019 to make me not a dependent will that mean I can get the recovery rebate? I sent in letters and documents to show I wasn’t a dependent in 2019 but that was 2 months ago and the IRS has no answers for what or when anything will happen. 

You are confused.   The IRS did not go backwards and look to see if you were a dependent for 2019 when they processed your 2020 tax return.   If they disallowed the credit on your 2020 return they did so for some other reason.   Information from 2019 tax returns is NOT being used to determine your eligibility to get the recovery rebate credit on a 2020 tax return.

Amending your 2019 return will have no effect whatsoever.    

So when the IRS processed your 2020 return that had $1800 on line 30 of the Form 1040, they reduced your refund and did not allow the $1800?    Does the IRS believe you already received the first two payments?   Check your account with the IRS to see.

https://www.irs.gov/payments/view-your-tax-account

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

No I did not misunderstand you ... the 2019 is immaterial now.  The ADVANCE payments were not sent because you were a dependent on the 2019 return  so to get the missing payments you must now file a 2020 return and do not indicate you were being claimed as a dependent on someone else's return.   If you filed the 2020 return and the IRS denied you the credit then only they can explain why.  How long the IRS will take to review the info you sent in already is a mystery  however the excuse that you were claimed as a dependent in 2019 doesn't hold water.  

No, IRS will not deny you the 2020 rebate credit if you were a dependent in 2019.

IRS will deny it if you are a dependent in 2020.

OR, you won't get the Rebate Credit if your 2020 AGI is too great.

And further.....when the IRS reduces a refund on a tax return they mail a letter a few weeks later that explains why they reduced the refund.   How long ago did you receive the reduced refund?   Did your letter come yet?  What does it say?

paigetosh
Returning Member

Okay! I am just going based off of what the IRS has told me multiple times. I have done my 2020 return correctly. I filed on TurboTax with no dependent claim on there. For the purpose of the convo when I originally filed on Turbo tax they said I got $2000 back. Then the IRS sent me a letter saying that I was not eligible for the rebate so they subtracted $1.800 from the return. After multiple calls they said it was because I was a dependent in 2019 and dependents were not eligible. So I need to call the IRS back again and see the real reason is what I am understanding from both of you! I appreciate the help! 

Here is the criteria to be eligible for the recovery rebate credit:

A1. Generally, if you are a U.S. citizen or U.S. resident alien, you will receive an Economic Impact Payment of $1,200  ($2,400  for a joint return) if you (and your spouse if filing a joint return)  are not a dependent of another taxpayer and have a Social Security number valid for employment and your adjusted gross income (AGI) does not exceed:

• $150,000  if married and filing a joint return
  • $112,500 if filing as  head of household or
  • $75,000  for eligible individuals using any other filing status
    Your payment will be reduced by 5% of  the amount by which your AGI exceeds the applicable threshold above.

You are not eligible for a payment if any of the following apply to you:

• You may be claimed as a dependent on another taxpayer’s return (for example, a child or student who may be claimed on a parent’s return or a dependent parent who may be claimed on an adult child’s return).
  • You do not have a Social Security number that is valid for employment.
  • You are a nonresident alien.
    The following are also not eligible: a deceased individual or an estate or trust.
paigetosh
Returning Member

I got the letter at the end of March. They have multiple reasons why they could have taken off the recovery rebate but after calling the IRS they told me it was because I was a dependent in 2019 so I wasn’t able to get the first 2 payments since in 2020 they were basing payments off of 2019 taxes. After being told this, I fixed this by Sending in documentation that I was not a dependent and that I accidentally put i was a dependent in 2019. My 2020 tax return doesn’t have me as a dependent. 

paigetosh
Returning Member

I am a teacher trust me that I do not meet the income threshold. So that wouldn’t cross me out. I definitely see both of your points though that if i was not a dependent in 2020 then why was the rebate not given. I will call the IRS back tomorrow! I was already on hold with them for 3 hours today so I will try again tomorrow! Thanks 

paigetosh
Returning Member

And I did make an IRS account. The payments for 2020 were both 0. So they don’t think I already have the money! 

You may want to get help from the Taxpayer Advocate office ... 

https://www.irs.gov/advocate/local-taxpayer-advocate

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies