turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Form 1040SR is defaulted. How do I use/print F-1040? Yes I am over 65yo.

FYI ... the CD & Download are EXACTLY the same in every way. 

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

You are concerned that you will be discriminated against (say in a loan process), because you have provided an 
SR-1040 instead of the traditional 1040.  Two issues come to mind:

• The lender may already know (or guess at) your age, either because the loan application asks for it or because of a lengthy work history listed.
  • More importantly, lenders are prohibited from discriminating against a borrower because of their age.  Legally, banks can only offer loans based on financial qualifications alone

dpwright061487
Returning Member

thank you!  You are the only person on this site who has provided helpful information.  It is inconceivable that one is forced to file SR by Turbo tax when it is an option available by the IRS.

And I reiterate ... the ONLY differences between the 2 forms is the FONT size and the useless chart at the bottom of page one.  

You only get 1040 on the screen, when you save to print it reverts back to 1040SR. 

Again so what ???   Why are you so hung up on this issue ?  What difference does it make ? 

Really ... the ONLY differences between the 2 forms is the FONT size and the useless chart at the bottom of page one. 

@wtmann45   Are you using the Online version?  You have to print out the 1040SR.  Then you can copy it to the regular 1040 and mail it in.  Here's a blank 1040 to fill out.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040.pdf 

But Even the regular 2019 1040 return is now different than 2018.  They changed the line numbers again and reduced the new schedules from 6 to 3.

1040SR https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040s.pdf

1040 https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040.pdf

Thanks VolvoGirl but I did not ask how to get my info on and submit the regular 1040. I only commented on someone else's reply on how to change forms that did not work.

This also applies to you Critter-3. 

Right, you can not change the form in the Online version.  You can force and select the 1040 in the Desktop program.

Sorry I left that information out, my original reply to was based on desktop Deluxe specific to what whadago posted.  However my original post was incorrect due to my misunderstanding what he said. 

whadago is entirely CORRECT!  The Info Wks form is a little hard to find, but its name is spelled "Info Wks"! Near the end of Section II you can chose if you want to use 1040 or 1040SR. By default, if you're over 65, it is checked 1040SR. I just changed mine to 1040 and it worked perfectly well.

What gets me is why you even care ???   The forms are EXACTLY the same in function ... so you are 65 or older ... accept it and wear it proudly.  Or are you that vain that you don't want anyone to know how old you are ?   The IRS & SS know already and anyone you show your tax return to either already knows or will know due to the reason for the return reveal.  But if you insist on using only the 1040 now you have your answer ... use the cheaper superior Downloaded version in the FORMS mode and click the itty bitty box to make the switch. 

FYI ... ALL the downloaded version can handle ALL the same forms so use the Deluxe and save  some money (Basic if you don't need to file a state return).   If you don't buy from TT directly then pay attention since the Deluxe is sold with and without a state program included.

Anonymous
Not applicable

it's kind of easy to determine from either form whether you are over 65. right on the first page about 1/3 of the way down are the questions about being over 65.  "Were you born before January 2, 1955"  if so it will be checked.

if you go the download version and don't buy from TT be very wary of any site that offers the software at a steep discount.   these may be scammers or identity thieves and once you give them a credit card number to pay .........

Good Grief ... have not manually completed a 1040 in soooo long I totally forgot about that line ... LOL LOL LOL.  Like I said ... the most worthless thing I have ever seen.    Every form that touches the 1040 + all the instructions of those forms ALL had to be reworked to refer to the 1040 or 1040SR ... other than wasting ink and giving a few jobs to rewrite and print all those things it is the dumbest thing Congress has ever done.  It was 1/2 a good idea when they suggested it 5+ years ago but to implement it now is plum ideocracy. 

1.png

Because it really angers me.  I want the same Form that I have always used.   I don't care if it's "exactly the same". I know where every line is on the 1040.  I don't know where every line is on the 1040SR besides having the bottom line on the 1040 as AGI and repeated at the top of page 2 is extremely convenient.  This thread has turned into an argument of whether or not they are identical.  I don't care!  I just want to print a 1040 when I select that form from the list and print!  If a wanted a 1040SR I would select that form and then print that form.  TurboTax shouldn't tell me which one I print for me and others.  If I paid someone to do my taxes they would print out the one I told them.  This thread is from last year but doesn't anyone know how to just print a 1040 if you are over 65?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies