turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Form 1040SR is defaulted. How do I use/print F-1040? Yes I am over 65yo.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

52 Replies

If the tax data you entered only requires you to file a Form 1040-SR then that is the form that will be included in your tax return and in the PDF download available.

Why are you concerned that you are using 1040SR?  It just has larger print--the calculations are done exactly the same way for you no matter which form you file on.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

This new 1040-SR is the silliest thing the IRS has done to date … what a waste of effort & paper… the new 1040-SR  is EXACTLY  the same in line information  as the 1040 this year ... the ONLY differences are  the font size, background color (that TT doesn't print)  and the fact that they added a standard exemption chart to the bottom of the first page of the SR form ...

LOOK at them side by side and have a good laugh. 

I still can’t find any reason why the form 1040 could not simply have larger font and no background color ( which used to differentiate the 1040, 1040A and 1040EZ apart from each other).

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040s.pdf

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040.pdf

mmacbain
Returning Member

I don't think this should be the default. I want to be able to select the form I want. What if a senior is applying for a loan. I think the bank might automatically have problems with this form or even discriminate.

mmacbain
Returning Member

I'm concerned if I need to use the return for a purpose where there might be discrimination against the senior; e.g. a bank loan.

@mmacbain wrote:

I'm concerned if I need to use the return for a purpose where there might be discrimination against the senior; e.g. a bank loan.

The Form 1040-SR is Exactly the same as the Form 1040.   It only has slightly larger type.

mmacbain
Returning Member

It is not the same - the title is 1040-SR U.S. Tax Return for Seniors

mmacbain
Returning Member

It also has a different layout and has a standard deduction chart at the bottom. It also has only items that seniors would use. The only reason the IRS did this is because Congress made them do it. I think a TT user should have the option of choosing which form they want to use. Chances are this form won't be available in the future. Also, if one has to send in multiple years of returns, there is no consistency. It's a mess!

@mmacbain wrote:

It is not the same - the title is 1040-SR U.S. Tax Return for Seniors

Well, that is the only difference.  Discrimination based on age for any type of loan is illegal if the person applying for a loan is of legal age.

@mmacbain The line numbers are the same.  The calculations are the same.  If you are 65 or older, the print is larger.  Your tax is not calculated differently.  The tax form is not discriminating against you for your age.   There has always been a higher  standard deduction for 65 or older, so that is not different either. 

Compare them side by side:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040s.pdf

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040.pdf

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
mmacbain
Returning Member

Take another look. There are more differences. Discrimination happens whether it is illegal or not! I just attended a seminar by an IRS stakeholder liaison and he explained the differences. He also said that it was designed for people who hand write their returns and don't use electronic filing. It is inappropriate for TT to assume that one wants to use this form. There should be an option.

Well, I am well over age 65 and really cannot see an issue with the 1040-SR.  If applying for a loan is a concern even if you use the 1040, you still have to give proof of identity and that will have your date of birth on the ID.

OK you bunch of nit pickers ... the ONLY differences between the 2 forms is one has no background color which makes it harder for some people (not only seniors) to read AND which is not on the PDF form TT puts out  AND the font is larger (again easier for everyone to read)  AND  the standard deduction chart on the bottom of page 1.   NOTHING else is different !!!! 

The program has ALWAYS chosen the correct form for your situation ... it used to pick the 1040EZ if you qualified and now it will choose the 1040-SR if you qualify.  The ONLY qualification for this new ridiculous form is that you be 65 or older  and if you apply for a loan the mortgage company already has your age so this should not be a surprise to them that you give them a 1040-SR.  This is NOT discrimination of any kind ... it is just making allowances for those who may need it.  If you don't like it then write the IRS.

NOW if you really need want to have a 1040 to hand into a lender then print off a blank form from the IRS site and manually transfer the information yourself ... but IMHO it is a waste of time. 

Now in my professional program I do have the option to opt out of the 1040-SR form and I did for only one reason ... saving ink !!!  Doing this means the returns I print will not have that useless deduction chart on every form.   AND  my professional program is using the same large font for the form 1040 which is great. 

whadago

If you use the CD (and perhaps the download) then switch to forms and the Info Wks part II has a selection for 1040 or 1040sr.  Not a real obvious option!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies