turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Due to Covid, we haven't visited the US to get a SSN for our baby (2019 return). Is there any way to claim him without SSN? Is amending a return difficult? Free with TT?

We live in Canada and given the border closure/quarantine requirements we haven't been able to drive to a SSA office to get a SSN for our son. I extended our filing deadline to October, hoping that Covid would have got better... but the borders are still closed. When filing our taxes on Turbotax the forms ask us if we have a son (which we do), but it won't let us proceed without a SSN. We don't actually need the deduction for 2019, however I don't want to be flagged in my 2020 tax return when it asks if we have children (but my answers then show they were born before the 2020 return year). Will saying we don't have any children be an issue on our return (if we don't need the return)? Is amending a tax return a difficult process if we want to do that once we can drive to the US and get a SSN? Is this a free feature with Turbotax? Thank you so much for your help!
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies

Due to Covid, we haven't visited the US to get a SSN for our baby (2019 return). Is there any way to claim him without SSN? Is amending a return difficult? Free with TT?

You cannot claim your child on your tax return without a SSN.  But if you want to go ahead and file without claiming him as a dependent now and amend later to claim him you can do that.  You have three years from the filing deadline to amend a tax return so you have plenty of time.    Amending does not cost an extra fee unless the change you make requires an upgrade to a higher version of the software.  

Stay safe--let's all hope this ends and the borders re-open soon!

But....Have you tried calling/contacting a Social Security office to see if there is a way to get the SSN without visiting in person?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

If you file the return BEFORE you get the SS# then you will lose the $2000 child tax credit for them... you cannot get it on an amended return ... try to get the number by mail or any other way possible before you file in October.  

@Critter-3 Good point---Critter!  

https://www.ssa.gov/forms/ss-5.pdf

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

@xmasbaby0  and @Critter-3  

Thank you so much for the replies. I appreciate your help... here is some more information to address your thoughts. 

I have called the SSA offices a couple times and tried to facilitate a in person application at the US Consulate here in Canada, but they wouldn't accept that plan, even with the Covid circumstances. They will accept it by mail, however my wife and I do not at all feel comfortable mailing our 'original' passports and other documentation. That is beyond our risk tolerance...

Fortunately, we don't actually need the $2000 deduction as our taxes zero out when considering the foreign tax credits we pay up here in Canada. We prefer not to file and then amend... but if it is easy and free, that sounds like the best plan. 

If you have any other thoughts/advice... please do share.

Do what you need to do and what you feel comfortable with.  In lieu of original passports you should be able get certified copies to send just like you would do to get an ITIN.  The US consulate should be able to do that for you. 

@US family in Canada wrote:

@xmasbaby0  and @Critter-3  

Thank you so much for the replies. I appreciate your help... here is some more information to address your thoughts. 

I have called the SSA offices a couple times and tried to facilitate a in person application at the US Consulate here in Canada, but they wouldn't accept that plan, even with the Covid circumstances. They will accept it by mail, however my wife and I do not at all feel comfortable mailing our 'original' passports and other documentation. That is beyond our risk tolerance...

Fortunately, we don't actually need the $2000 deduction as our taxes zero out when considering the foreign tax credits we pay up here in Canada. We prefer not to file and then amend... but if it is easy and free, that sounds like the best plan. 

If you have any other thoughts/advice... please do share.

Unfortunately, as part of some fraud prevention measures enacted in 2015, you can't get tax credits for a dependent unless they have an SSN when you file an on-time return.  This year, "on time" means July 15, or October 15 but only if you already applied for an extension before July 15.  If you file an amended return later, after the SSN is issued, you can't get the missing tax credits. 

$1400 of the credit is refundable  if you don't need it to negate your taxes ... that is what you are giving up by not waiting for the SS#  even IF you could get it in time at this late date. 

@Critter-3 @Opus 17 @xmasbaby0 

Thanks for the continued response... I had no idea there was a $1400 refundable tax credit at play. It seems interesting that foreigners are able to qualify for this, but that is extra incentive.

Before going to the effort to expedite the mailing of this via Fedex, I would like to make sure I qualify for the $1400 refundable tax credit (child). Will Turbotax correctly show a refundable credit on my summary?

I assume I can use a placeholder SIN for my child) in Turbotax, to ensure that FedEx'ing our documents is worth the effort. Does that sound correct?

@US family in Canada wrote:

@Critter-3 @Opus 17 @xmasbaby0 

Thanks for the continued response... I had no idea there was a $1400 refundable tax credit at play. It seems interesting that foreigners are able to qualify for this, but that is extra incentive.

Before going to the effort to expedite the mailing of this via Fedex, I would like to make sure I qualify for the $1400 refundable tax credit (child). Will Turbotax correctly show a refundable credit on my summary?

I assume I can use a placeholder SIN for my child) in Turbotax, to ensure that FedEx'ing our documents is worth the effort. Does that sound correct?

To see if your child qualifies, you can use this tool.

https://www.irs.gov/help/ita/does-my-childdependent-qualify-for-the-child-tax-credit-or-the-credit-f...

You  must generally be a US citizen or resident alien.  Resident alien means that you either lived in the US more than half the year and pass the substantial presence test, or that you have a green card.  You say something about being "foreigners" but I don't see how your child can be eligible for an SSN unless at least one parent is a US citizen.

Yes, you can make test returns in Turbotax online.  Each online account can only prepare 1 tax return, but you can make extra accounts for testing.  They need different user names but can be linked to the same email address.  You only pay when you file, so if you decide to file with Turbotax online, make sure the account you file from has all the correct information.

Yes, you can use a fake SSN as a placeholder, just don't start with a 9.  Numbers starting with 9 are usually ITINs and don't qualify for the credit, the program may know that. 

use 456 - 456 - 456

Thank you @Critter-3 @Opus 17 @xmasbaby0 

We were able to get our son's SSN prior to the deadline and successfully filed. We appreciate all the advice/help!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies