turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Did it really e-file?

I'm using Turbotax Deluxe. I just made some final changes, then did the reviews and then tried to e-file.  It jumped to saying that it was submitted and accepted instantly. Is there anyway to check that the submit was actually done?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

27 Replies

Did it really e-file?

You will get an email telling you that the e-file was accepted or rejected.   You can also go into your account and see the status of your taxes.  The process is very quick to e-file. Sometimes it takes a day or longer for the IRS to accept or reject.  

If you still unsure, call the helpdesk and they can look it up.

Did it really e-file?

Hi DanPaul02,

I did not receive any email about it being accepted. I have used TurboTax for many years with no problem so contacting support is new to me. By my account I assumed you mean logging in online - there I found "Your tax returns & documents" and in that it says I haven't filed. But I would think this means using the online TT rather than the Deluxe TT CD I bought. I'm in Ireland, can I email the Helpdesk?

Did it really e-file?

"jumped to saying that it was submitted and accepted instantly."

Should not happen.

You must take explicit action steps to e-File.

You must get an ACCEPTED message, usually within the hour or next day.

Since you've used TurboTax, you know that.

If TurboTax won't let you e-File because it thinks you did so already, switch to a better tax prep software outfit that works correctly.

Did it really e-file?

The helpdesk will not have any information when you used the desktop version.  You will receive an email confirmation from the IRS.  What you can do is go to the IRS Where's My Refund site.  There will be information there about your efile after 24 hours.  If it does not show up on the site, then you ca e-file again.  

The helpdesk does not have an email address to contact them, but you can request help from this TurboTax contact page.

Did it really e-file?

Hi DanPaul02,

Thank you for your help. I had earlier tried to e-file again but TT would not allow me to. I just checked the IRS web site - it indicates that the return was received but has not yet been evaluated. Very strange - hopefully it is the final version that was submitted.

Did it really e-file?

Due to COVID and to the many changes in US tax laws for 2021, the IRS is very behind in processing returns.  It was estimated that there were 16 million 2019 returns still waiting for action before the 2020 filing season ended in May.  

They are working through those stacks of returns as quickly as possible.  Follow the progress of your return at the IRS Refund site.

Did it really e-file?

Accepted means your tax return is now in the government's hands and has passed the initial inspection (your verification info is correct, dependents haven't already been claimed by someone else, etc.).

• After acceptance, the next step is for the government to approve your refund.

This year, millions of refunds have been delayed due to a processing backlog created by the pandemic, which shut down the IRS for a time. 

• The IRS also has millions of returns that have to be manually verified which is also causing a delay.

Keep checking the IRS Where's My Refund page to see if your refund status has been updated

Did it really e-file?

Sounds like it did go through.  Here's how to check in the Desktop program.

For the Desktop program you have to check the filing status inside the program.  Open your return and go up to menu item

File > Electronic Filing > Check Electronic Filing Status

Then do a save to save the status in your file.  Save a pdf with the updated status.  

bunsmac70
Returning Member

Did it really e-file?

I spent 3 days doing my Taxes on Intuit.com(Turbo Tax) It was the the free addition.Ive been paying  for years...Well when it came to the end I got a confirmation email with saying my taxes are completed... and it  said Thank-you,So when October came around and I checked my bank.No Calif stimulus.So I contacted Turbo  Tax only to find out that hey never filed my taxes because it was a free addition?So Now ,no Calif Stimulus for me.They did me wrong.They used to practically spam me with emails.But this time nothing.Nada.I would have paid that's all I can say.I'm pretty bummed

Did it really e-file?

Only you can file your return.   Sounds like you didn't finish all the steps.  Maybe it thought you were suppose to mail it.  You needed to check back to see if it was Accepted or Rejected.

If you used the Online version you can check your efile status here     

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/efile-status-lookup/   

When you efile you get back 2 emails.  The first email only confirms the transmission.  The second email says if the IRS (or state) Accepted or Rejected your efile.  And check your spam folder for them.

When you log into your account you should also see the status and if it was Accepted or Rejected, Started, Printed, Ready to Mail, etc.  What does it say?

bunsmac70
Returning Member

Did it really e-file?

In my dollars to have them e file.I probably would have just to get that $600 dollar stimulus from the Calif. But Turbo did me evil.I wont ever use them again.And the sad thing is I'm 73 and all I filed was my local security and my small pension .Why why.After filing with you for 5 years why.Why didn't you send me an email like all those other times.to the point of spam mail,

Did it really e-file?

@bunsmac70 TurboTax does not file your tax return for you.   The user files it by either going all the way through the FILE section and clicking a big orange button that says "Transmit my returns now" or by printing, signing ad mailing the return in an envelope.   TurboTax does not do that----only the user can do that.   If you neglected to go all the way through and e-file, or did not pay any attention to whether the e-filed return was accepted or rejected, that was user error.  Sorry.  It would be that way whether you used the free edition or a paid version.

Did you e-file?  Did you click a big orange button that said “Transmit my returns now?”

When you e-file your federal return you will receive two emails from TurboTax.  The first one will say that your return was submitted.  The second email will tell you if your federal return was accepted or rejected.  If you e-filed a state return, there will be a third email to tell you if the state accepted or rejected your state return.

First, check your e-file status to see if your return was accepted: 

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/efile-status-lookup/

If the IRS accepted it, what does it say here?  

https://www.irs.gov/refunds         

Or does your account say “Ready to Mail?”

Note:  If it says “Ready to Mail” or “Printed” that means YOU have to mail it yourself.  TurboTax does not mail your tax return for you.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Did it really e-file?

Do know if my tax return for my first two stimulus will I get them

Did it really e-file?

@777danny777 wrote:

Do know if my tax return for my first two stimulus will I get them

Did you e-file your tax return and was it accepted?
Only the IRS and your State control when and if a Federal or State tax refund is Approved and Issued.

You complete your tax return by finishing all 3 Steps in the File section. In Step 3, to e-file your tax return, you must click on the large Orange button labeled "Transmit my returns now".

After completing the File section and e-filing your tax return you will receive two emails from TurboTax. The first email when your tax return was transmitted and the second email when the tax return has either been accepted or rejected.

Note - Once a tax return has been Accepted by the IRS or a State, TurboTax receives no further information concerning the tax return or the status of any tax refund.  Only the taxpayer listed on the tax return can obtain the status of a tax refund or a tax return.

To check the status of an e-filed return, open up your desktop product or log into your TurboTax Online Account. You can find your status within the TurboTax product.
If accepted by the IRS use the federal tax refund website to check the refund status - https://www.irs.gov/refunds
If accepted by the state use this TurboTax support FAQ to check the state tax refund status - https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899433-how-do-i-track-my-state-refund

After the tax return has been Accepted by the IRS (meaning only that they received the return) it will be in the Processing mode until the tax refund has been Approved and then an Issue Date will be available on the IRS website.

The IRS is seriously behind in processing 2020 tax returns.  This is due to many factors, such as the pandemic, completing processing of millions of 2019 tax returns, stimulus payments, unemployment compensation exclusion tax refunds., changes in the tax code by Congress in the middle of the 2020 tax season and the like.

Millions of taxpayers have not yet received there federal tax refunds.

Go to this IRS website for operational status - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue

The IRS is opening mail within normal timeframes and all paper and electronic individual returns received prior to April 2021 have been processed if the return had no errors or did not require further review.   As of October 16, 2021, we had 7.1 million unprocessed individual returns. Unprocessed individual returns include tax year 2020 returns such as those requiring correction to the Recovery Rebate Credit amount or validation of 2019 income used to figure the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and Additional Child Tax Credit (ACTC). This work does not require us to correspond with taxpayers but does require special handling by an IRS employee so, in these instances, it is taking the IRS more than 21 days to issue any related refund and in some cases this work could take 90 to 120 days. If, as a result, a correction is made to any RRC, EITC or ACTC claimed on the return, the IRS will send taxpayers an explanation. Taxpayers are encouraged to continue to check Where’s My Refund? for their personalized refund status and can review Tax Season Refund Frequently Asked Questions.

What you should do: In most instances, no further action is needed but you may check Where’s my refund or you can view your account. If you filed electronically and received an acknowledgement, you do not need to take any further action other than promptly responding to any requests for information. If you filed on paper, check Where’s my refund? If it tells you we have received your return or are processing or reviewing it, we are processing your return, but it may be under review. We’re working hard to get through the backlog. Please don’t file a second tax return or contact the IRS about the status of your return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies