turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Did i file my taxes wrong?

Once you already file your taxes can you upgrade on turbotax and have someone look over your return. This year my return is bigger than ever i want to make sure i didnt mess something up. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Sorry ... but once you have filed upgrading is not an option.  I would print off a copy of the 2018 & 2019 returns and compare them side by side to see what is different.   Post back here if you have questions.

View solution in original post

17 Replies

Sorry ... but once you have filed upgrading is not an option.  I would print off a copy of the 2018 & 2019 returns and compare them side by side to see what is different.   Post back here if you have questions.

If you were worried about a “too high” refund the time to ask for help was before you filed with a possible mistake. 

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I understand that. But i did check all my numbers on w2 and everything was entered correct before i submitted just thought about it afterwards once i spoke with someone else i may have did something wrong because it seems high

Ok thanks. I did check all my number in entered for my w2 and it was all entered correct. My income increased alot this year compared to last and also my daughter was born so im claiming myself and my 2 kids. I also always claim 0 to have max coming out though out the year. Just total between fed and state its 12,100. 

Ok ... compare it to last year ... you had another child so that is an increase of $2000 in the CTC  and the withholding % should have also gone up due to the raise.  I bet if you check you can find the increase of refund between just those 2 items. 

And look at your child-related credits on your Form 1040's

Look at your 2018 tax return to see the child-related /dependent credits you received:

Child tax credit line 12a

Additional Child Tax Credit line 17b   (schedule 8812)

Credit for Other Dependents line 12a

Earned Income Credit (EIC) line 17a

Child and Dependent Care Credit line 12     (comes from Schedule 3 Form 2441)

Look at your 2019 Form 1040 to see the child-child-related credits you received

Child Tax Credit line 13a

Credit for Other Dependents line 13a

Earned Income Credit line 18a

Additional Child Tax Credit line 18b

Child and Dependent Care Credit line 18d

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
DonnaLO
Expert Alumni

Here's help for checking your e-file status:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/return-status/help/how-do-i-check-my-e-file-status/01/25538#M91

For further assistance, please contact Customer Support.

In this forum, we do not have access to your account information and are not able to see your returns.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3300041

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
country10

I would like to know if I finish my file application ?

Ken161

Re: My taxes where done wrong by Turbo tax, The military and annuities where not on the 1040-SR

What do I do now?

@Ken161 wrote:

Re: My taxes where done wrong by Turbo tax, The military and annuities where not on the 1040-SR

What do I do now?

You had to enter the Form 1099-R that you received in the proper section of the software program.  Retirement and Annuity income is shown on your Form 1040 Line 4c with the taxable amount on Line 4d

Did you file your 2019 tax return and has it been accepted?  If so, then you will have to amend your tax return if the Form 1099-R was not entered correctly.

To enter, edit or delete a form 1099-R -

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Wages and Income (Personal Income using Home and Business)
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  • Scroll down to Retirement Plans and Social Security
  • On IRA, 401(k), Pension Plan Withdrawals (1099-R), click the start or update button

Or enter 1099-r in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to 1099-R

My taxes were done wrong they didn’t put in my wages for 2019

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

It depends.

I'm not sure who didn't put your wages in, but if you have another W-2 form with wages that were not reported on your tax return and you have already filed, you will need to filed an amended return.

See the following link for instructions on how to amend your return if you have already filed and your return was accepted.  Please note you will need to mail in your amended return.

How to amend my return

If you have not filed your return yet, you can simply follow the steps below to enter your W-2.

Go to the Federal section of the program. 

1. Select Income & Expenses
  2. Select Job (W-2)
  3. Click Edit/Add to the right of the Job (W-2) 
  4. The next page will have boxes that say "Add a W-2 for...Select the appropriate taxpayer and enter the information for each W-2. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I just submitted my tax return and am sure I made a mistake after I looked at it.  How do I correct it?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies