Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Cost of State return

I bought Turbo Tax Premier which includes 5 free Federal returns and 1 free state return. I finished my taxes and now Turbo Tax wants to charge me $19.99 for my state return. Why? And what am I doing wrong?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Cost of State return

You just did not read the find print on the box.  You got the software for preparing state returns---but there is a fee to e-file the state.  You can avoid that e-file fee by printing and mailing the state.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

12 Replies

Cost of State return

You just did not read the find print on the box.  You got the software for preparing state returns---but there is a fee to e-file the state.  You can avoid that e-file fee by printing and mailing the state.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Cost of State return

Do I have to pay for the state return to be e-filed and why is it not included in the price of your purchase business and home?

Cost of State return

As the prior answer said

You get one free state PROGRAM download to prepare unlimited state returns. Then each state return (including the first one) is 19.99 to efile, usually goes up to 24.99 March 1. Or you can print and mail state for free.  

You would have to ask Turbo Tax why Efiling state returns from the Desktop program  is not included.  If you are in New York you can efile NY for free.

Contact Customer Service
5am-9pm Pacific Time Monday - Sunday
https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

What is the Turbo Tax phone number
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

tsavas823

Cost of State return

I am very aware of the $19.99, which I will be paying upon filing. I was forced to charge/pay $44.99 to get my CA tax information to populate within my tax filings via TurboTax. I have used TT for 15-20 years and never have seen this. Usually you complete Federal and then get asked 'do you want to work on your state' and it self-feeds/populates information but it would not this year. I had to pay this $44.99 fee to get CA to populate and I have a receipt for what I was charged. Please review again and a refund is due.

Cost of State return

@tsavas823 We cannot resolve billing issues in the user forum.  

We cannot tell from your post what software you used.   If you purchased desktop Deluxe--it comes both with and without state software when purchased from retailers--if you purchased it without state included from a retailer there would have been a $44.99 charge to add the state program.

Or if you used online TurboTax the state is an extra charge--it is not included with the fee charged for federal.

To call TurboTax customer support

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263-what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number

They are available from 5 a.m. to 9 p.m. Pacific time

Use the word "billing"  -- not "refund."

Cost of State return

What version did you buy?  Basic does not come with a state download.  And Deluxe comes 2 ways.  Deluxe with a free state program and Deluxe without a state.  

Or does it think you already used the free state for a different state?

Contact Customer Service
5am-9pm Pacific Time Monday - Sunday
https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

What is the Turbo Tax phone number
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

poorleon

Cost of State return

I guess I won't be needing Turbo Tax in the future. I have no deductions other than standard but you still want 24.99 to file my simple tax return...bull!

Cost of State return

@poorleon We cannot see what software you used.  $24.99 sounds like the fee to e-file a state return using desktop software.  Your desktop software included the program to prepare the state return but there is a fee to e-file the state.  That fee can be avoided if you print and mail the state.

Cost of State return

I too am irritated and offended by the efiling of a state return, for what I was led to believe was no charge, only to get to one of the last screens and be charged 24.99 -- not happy with the 'service'.

Cost of State return

OHHHHH.  THE 'FINE' PRINT. OF COURSE.  

rosey1000
Returning Member

Cost of State return

It use on line version  what is cost for. State return 

Cost of State return

Please review the fees----click on the words "state additional" to see the state fee for the version you used.

ONLINE 2020

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/online/

And just so you know—online prices go up in March

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies