turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Wacannon

Can I get help with Turbo Tax PLUS? I go to upgrade (so I can print my 2017 taxes) and it says I already have that. However, I never bought it and I cannot print.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies
hldplus3

Can I get help with Turbo Tax PLUS? I go to upgrade (so I can print my 2017 taxes) and it says I already have that. However, I never bought it and I cannot print.

I am having the same issues and am desperate for help!  

@ hldplus3 

You're posting in someone else's unanswered thread who happens to be in the Premier Edition, so your situation may not be exactly the same.  It might get confusing helping two folks in one thread, but I can help you with your situation once it becomes clear.  Please answer all questions:

1. Are you wanting to pay for 2018 PLUS to unlock prior returns that are in the same account?   
  2. What is the story on  your 2018 return?   Has it already been filed, or is it still in preparation?
  3.  What edition are you in right now?  Have you already upgraded your 2018 Free Edition to PLUS, and now just need to pay for it?  If the PLUS selection is grayed out, that means you already have it.  Do not upgrade any farther, or you'll have problems.   If you are in PLUS,  you just need to pay.
  4.  Is PLUS the only thing grayed out?  If anything else is grayed out, then you are in an edition higher than PLUS.

I can tell you the steps to pay the 19.99 by credit/debit card, when you answer all of the above.

There's also a free option if a return transcript will suit your purpose.   You may be able to immediately download one at the IRS website if you qualify to open an IRS account there.  Otherwise, to order a transcript to come by postal mail takes 5-10 calendar days.
http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcript

@ Wacannon 

You asked this same question a month ago but never returned with the followup information that was requested at the time.   At that time you were in Deluxe Edition. 

Now you currently appear to be using Online Premier, which is way higher than PLUS.  At least Premier is what is displayed underneath your question above.   Premier is 79.99 for Federal and 44.99 for State, while PLUS is 19.99.    Did you try to upgrade and upgraded too far, or do you need Premier for the situations in your 2018 return?    Please answer all questions below:

• What is the story on  your 2018 return?   Has it already been filed, or is it still in preparation?
  • How did you end up in Premier?  Is that what you used to prepare and file your 2018 return, or did you try to upgrade from Free Edition to PLUS and upgraded too far?  
  • Are the 2017 and 2018 returns in the SAME account?

If you are in Premier and try to pay now, it will charge you 79.99 for Federal and possibly 44.99 for a state return.   We can tell you what to do when you answer the above.   Here are the two options:

If you haven't paid for and filed the 2018 return yet, you can either pay for Premier (79.99) if that's what you plan to use for 2018, or if you don't need Premier, you can downgrade to Free Edition, then upgrade to PLUS for 19.99.  I can tell you all the steps.

However, if you have already paid for or filed the 2018 return and have upgraded too far after filing, then you can't downgrade it yourself.  You'll need to phone TurboTax Support, tell them you accidentally upgraded too far, and ask them to unlock the prior return.  I can tell you how to reach them if that's the case.

There's also a free option if a return transcript will suit your purpose.   You may be able to immediately download one at the IRS website if you qualify to open an IRS account there.  Otherwise, to order a transcript to come by postal mail takes 5-10 calendar days.
http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcript

22megs

Hi, I am having a similar issue. I need help just paying for PLUS without filing. It says I upgraded but just need to pay. I need this to access 2017s returns for help with student loans.

@22megs wrote:

Hi, I am having a similar issue. I need help just paying for PLUS without filing. It says I upgraded but just need to pay. I need this to access 2017s returns for help with student loans.

I will assume that when you try download the 2017 PDF, it asks you to pay.  I'll also assume that you have started a 2018 Free Edition return, but haven't yet filed it or don't wish to, and in the Upgrade area that PLUS is grayed out.  If so, that means you are already in PLUS.  You can pay the 19.99 by credit/debit card without actually preparing the return or filing.   NOTE:   If anything higher than PLUS is grayed out, it means you have upgraded too far and would first have to downgrade to PLUS (we can tell you how.)

So if you are indeed in PLUS, here's how to pay:

• Once the return is open, then in the left menu column click on TAX TOOLS, then PRINT CENTER.
  • At the Print Center choose to "Print, save, view THIS  YEAR's return."   (Yes, you say "this year's" because you are paying for the 2018 return to unlock the prior returns.)   You don't actually have to print the 2018 return.
  • It will ask you to pay.  If the Order Summary appears OK (PLUS at 19.99), then choose PAY NOW.
  • You can pay by credit card or debit card (even though it only says "credit.")

NOTE:  If it should offer you the choice of paying later out of the Federal refund, that cannot be done for this purpose.  You have to choose PAY NOW.

user8979
Returning Member

I need to amend my 2017 taxes for social security resion

user8979
Returning Member

my social security amount was not added 

@ user8979 wrote:

I need to amend my 2017 taxes for social security resion

Why are you posting in this thread--are you trying to get/pay for PLUS?   Normally it's best to start one's own new thread, or it can get confusing with multiple users.   Are you asking how to get the *.tax2017 data file to amend?    Have you already downloaded the free 2017 "amend software"?

This is a thread on how to pay to unlock and download a 2017 return file, and the original poster said he was already in PLUS and just needs to pay.    You haven't said anything about "your" situation.    The minimum to unlock a 2017 return is to pay for a 2018 return in Free Edition upgraded to PLUS for 19.99 by credit/debit card.  Have you already done the upgrade and are now in PLUS, and just need to pay?    Please answer all of the questions below:

1. What is the story on  your 2018 return?   Has it already been filed, or is it still in preparation?  Or was it prepared elsewhere?
  2. What edition are you currently in now--Free Edition, PLUS, etc.?
  3. Are the 2017 and 2018 returns in the SAME account?

We can give you more info on how to upgrade/pay when you answer those.

Once you have the 2017 tax data file and the 2017 amend software, here's how to amend a 2017 online return:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/how-do-i-amend-my-turbotax-online-return/00/27371

Need copy of 2017 tax return

Can I get help same issue. I am willing to make the purchase I need but where and how

@omega9marc 

In TurboTax Free Edition, you can purchase PLUS to unlock your prior-year .tax file.

The exact instructions will vary depending on the status of your 2018 TurboTax Online return (select one):

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies