Hi, I am having a similar issue. I need help just paying for PLUS without filing. It says I upgraded but just need to pay. I need this to access 2017s returns for help with student loans.
I will assume that when you try download the 2017 PDF, it asks you to pay. I'll also assume that you have started a 2018 Free Edition return, but haven't yet filed it or don't wish to, and in the Upgrade area that PLUS is grayed out. If so, that means you are already in PLUS. You can pay the 19.99 by credit/debit card without actually preparing the return or filing. NOTE: If anything higher than PLUS is grayed out, it means you have upgraded too far and would first have to downgrade to PLUS (we can tell you how.)
So if you are indeed in PLUS, here's how to pay:
- Log in and open your return, if not already open ("Take me to my return.")
- Once the return is open, then in the left menu column click on TAX TOOLS, then PRINT CENTER.
- At the Print Center choose to "Print, save, view THIS YEAR's return." (Yes, you say "this year's" because you are paying for the 2018 return to unlock the prior returns.) You don't actually have to print the 2018 return.
- It will ask you to pay. If the Order Summary appears OK (PLUS at 19.99), then choose PAY NOW.
- You can pay by credit card or debit card (even though it only says "credit.")
NOTE: If it should offer you the choice of paying later out of the Federal refund, that cannot be done for this purpose. You have to choose PAY NOW.