turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I e-file an amend to my accepted e-filed 2020 tax?

Can I e-file an amend to my accepted e-filed 2020 federal 1040 tax return after 10/15/2021? IRS says amend e-file is available for 2019 and 2020 1040s, but my turbo tax (Mac version) said I can’t. Today’s date is 10/20/2021. If yes, could you please send me the instructions?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

E-file for TurboTax is closed for the season.  

View solution in original post

12 Replies

E-file for TurboTax is closed for the season.  

Do NOT send in an amended return until your original tax return has been fully processed or you will cause confusion and delays for the processing of your return.  WAIT until your return has been processed.  Then if you need to amend, you will have to print, sign and mail the Form 1040X since e-filing will be closed.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

@chuanpan 

If your amendment is ready to go, SUBMIT it now.

Either it will e-File or not, depending on what is current TurboTax policy.

After some time soon, e-File will be shut off.

elvolz

I e-filed my State and Federal returns October 15th as instructed, but when I used the software to trace my filings the answer was  that no files were sent. Since I followed the software to make the filings as I have in previous years I do not understand why the files were not sent.

@elvolz

Did you e-file?  Did you click a big orange button that said “Transmit my returns now?”

When you e-file your federal return you will receive two emails from TurboTax.  The first one will say that your return was submitted.  The second email will tell you if your federal return was accepted or rejected.  If you e-filed a state return, there will be a third email to tell you if the state accepted or rejected your state return.

First, check your e-file status to see if your return was accepted: 

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/efile-status-lookup/

If the IRS accepted it, what does it say here?  

https://www.irs.gov/refunds         

Or does your account say “Ready to Mail?”

Note:  If it says “Ready to Mail” or “Printed” that means YOU have to mail it yourself.  TurboTax does not mail your tax return for you.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Where does it say not sent?  At Turbo Tax or the IRS?   The IRS is taking a long time (like months) to show up on Where's my refund.

Did you use the software program on your computer?  For the Desktop program you have to check the filing status inside the program.  Open your return and go up to menu item 

File > Electronic Filing > Check Electronic Filing Status

When you efile you get back 2 emails.  The first email only confirms the transmission.  The second email says if the IRS (or state) Accepted or Rejected your efile.  Check your spam folder.

tyleregarcia
Returning Member

is this the same for state amends?

tyleregarcia
Returning Member

amendments*

@tyleregarcia You have added on to a thread in which multiple users have posted.   We do not understand what you are trying to ask.   Is WHAT the same for amended state returns?   How to file one?   How long it takes for the return to be processed?  Something else?

@tyleregarcia wrote:

is this the same for state amends?

See this TurboTax support FAQ for information on e-filing state amended tax returns - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/e-file/help/can-i-efile-an-amended-state-return/01/27183

pshaw10

I e-filed my 2020 tax return on 09/23/2021 (and I already got my refund), and now I need to amend my 2020 tax return for additional tax credit, but I cannot find "Amend a filed return" menu selection from my TurboTax Premier 2020 (Mac download version) software. Today's date is 11/17/2021. I check on the IRS website, the 2020 1040X form is available since July 2021. Can someone help me with how to initiate the amendment process within the TurboTax? I really appreciate it.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies