turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jordanh00

Can I change my dependent option on my taxes? I already filed and I accidentally put that no one could claim me but my mom actually is

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

Can I change my dependent option on my taxes? I already filed and I accidentally put that no one could claim me but my mom actually is

You will need to amend your return.  Since your return has been accepted, wait until your return has been processed and you receive your refund or conformation that any tax due has been paid. (If you file an amended return while you first return is being processed it can cause extended delays for both returns if two returns are in the system at the same time).

Your mom will need to paper file her return by mail because her return will automatically be rejected saying her dependent has already been claimed or used as a primary tax payer on a return.  This article will give you instruction on how to print and mail your return.

See this TurboTax FAQ for help with amending:

How do I amend my 2019 TurboTax Online return?

You can check the status of your amended return here but allow 3 weeks after filing for it to show up:

Where's my amended return?

Amended returns can only be mailed - allow 8-12 weeks for processing.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

5 Replies
CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

You will need to amend your return.  Since your return has been accepted, wait until your return has been processed and you receive your refund or conformation that any tax due has been paid. (If you file an amended return while you first return is being processed it can cause extended delays for both returns if two returns are in the system at the same time).

Your mom will need to paper file her return by mail because her return will automatically be rejected saying her dependent has already been claimed or used as a primary tax payer on a return.  This article will give you instruction on how to print and mail your return.

See this TurboTax FAQ for help with amending:

How do I amend my 2019 TurboTax Online return?

You can check the status of your amended return here but allow 3 weeks after filing for it to show up:

Where's my amended return?

Amended returns can only be mailed - allow 8-12 weeks for processing.

I don't need to amend I just need to change my dependent on my 2019 tax return that has been rejected because somebody has already filed that dependent

Can I simply change the dependent to no dependents on my e-file 2019 tax return online

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

If you already have completed the filing you will need to complete an amended return.  To do this, please see the below:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/how-to-amend-change-or-correct-a-return-you-already-...

If the return was rejected you can remove the source of the rejection and resubmit the return.

Manage cookies