Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Been 5 weeks since I sent in my amended return and the IRS shows it still hasn't received it?

I amended my taxes in March using Turbo tax. It's the first time I've ever had to amend my taxes so I'm not sure if I missed a step or what. I have read of people having to mail letters in. I haven't sent anything in the mail for the simple fact that I thought the amending process I went through on turbo tax did it for me. It's now June 29th and it says it's not available to check. Just need to know where to go from here.

Been 5 weeks since I sent in my amended return and the IRS shows it still hasn't received it?

@Cameronhughes20 wrote:

I amended my taxes in March using Turbo tax. It's the first time I've ever had to amend my taxes so I'm not sure if I missed a step or what. I have read of people having to mail letters in. I haven't sent anything in the mail for the simple fact that I thought the amending process I went through on turbo tax did it for me. It's now June 29th and it says it's not available to check. Just need to know where to go from here.

TurboTax cannot and does not file an amended tax return for you.   An amended tax return, Form 1040X, can only be printed, signed, dated and mailed by you to the IRS, it cannot be e-filed. 

What was the status on your original return?  You only amend if the first return was accepted and fully processed.  Amended returns are on a 1040X forms and can only be mailed by you.  If you didn't mail the 1040X then it didn't go anywhere.

How to amend a 2019 online return.  See step 5

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/how-do-i-amend-my-turbotax-online-return/00/27577 

I filed my taxes and waited the full 3 weeks, plus some, and never heard anything back. So I called the IRS and come to find out, I had done some traveling last year for work and missed a W-2 which made my taxes be held until I filed an amended return to correct it with the missing W-2. I did it on turbo tax and ended up recieving something in the mail from the IRS but didn't know if I needed to fill it out and send it back or if turbo tax did it since I had amended it through their site. I'm guessing I need to fill that form out and send it in. I really do appreciate all of the help from those who have answered!

@Cameronhughes20 TurboTax does not receive any information from the IRS after you file your tax return.  TT has no way to know about a letter or form the IRS sent you after you filed.  Hope you kept that letter.  Read it carefully again and do whatever it tells you to do.

And as for amending your return--you do not say when you did that--but an amended return can only be sent in on a Form 1040X which has to be mailed.  You should never send in an amended return before the original return has been fully processed, or you risk confusing the IRS and delaying things.  The IRS has not been processing amended returns for several months. Mailed returns have just been piling up in trailers until the IRS can start working on the huge backlog caused by the pandemic.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
cleve60
Returning Member

If you sent in your return 5 weeks ago, there was nobody in the building.  IRS in California just went back to work last Monday the 29th( I work there).  Your return was sitting in a pile of mail, that built up over 3 months.  Everyone is working as fast as they can to get caught up, but I am guessing you won't get an answer for at least a couple more weeks.  Sorry for the delay, but Covid shut the IRS centers for a long time due to the number of people that work in the building.

Hope this helps

UPDATE: I sent mine in the 2nd week in March. I received my return request postcard the 1st week in June. Today I finally see my amended return listed on the "Where's my amended return?" website. It says 16 weeks, so I m thinking sometime in Sept. if not before. Just wanted to let you all know, in case you are waiting for yours with the same time frame.

Alvin1993

My name Is Alvin Ramer Jr birthday is 03/20/1993 it’s been 19 weeks and I haven’t receive my amended tax money I check the irs website it’s showing that it’s their 

Alvin1993

I mail it my self February 28 2020 

Alvin1993

I double check my information it’s right it’s taking them long to process it in I really need it 

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

If you mailed an amended tax return in February, you can expect it to be a considerable amount of time before your additional refund is processed, unfortunately.

An amended return in typical processing times takes 12-16 weeks.  However, the IRS stopped processing all paper filed returns, including amended returns, in early March.  In some areas, processing is slowly resuming as IRS workers return to offices but it is not yet known how long it will take the IRS to catch-up on processing.  

@Alvin1993

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Alvin1993

So I want be reviving it this month??

Maybe not.  Only the IRS can tell you.

See this IRS page for the latest information

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue

Then once they start opening the mail, After 3 weeks you can track it here,    

https://www.irs.gov/filing/individuals/amended-returns-form-1040-x-/wheres-my-amended-return-1

I sent in my 1040x Amendment tax return April and it's still not showing anything I would love to know why

Because the IRS is not opening the mail.  

In normal times it takes up to 16 weeks or more to process an Amended 1040X return.  But these are not normal times.

They just started opening the mail in June that's been stacking up. So you have to keep waiting.

See this IRS page for the latest information

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue

Then once they start opening the mail, After 3 weeks you can track it here,    

https://www.irs.gov/filing/individuals/amended-returns-form-1040-x-/wheres-my-amended-return-1

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies