turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

2020 amended return

Has anyone else filed a amended tax return in 2020 for a prior year and have not heard anything on the status after months?

I filed my amended return back in January 2020 by mail and still have not received nothing from IRS about it. I know they have got it because I did owe money for the year I amended. And now it says I don't owe anything. I check the status on Where's my amended return and it says "Your amended return information is currently unavailable in this application. It takes up to 3 weeks for an amended return to show on your account. You can generally expect your amended return to be processed within 16 weeks from the date we receive it. Check the date you filed your amended return and try again later." Then when I go to my account at IRS.gov on the year  I filed amendment it shows a exclamation mark inside a circle that says " Your Information Is Not Available at This Time If you requested an adjustment to your account your information will not be available until that transaction is complete." So I guess there is no telling when they will get this done. I have tried calling and only got as far as a guy asking me what I needed and transferred me to a automated system saying were to backed up and can't take calls due to short staff. So now as of August 20th 2020 can't find out nothing. If I owed them they would have had my amended return done in a day. Now that they owe me It will be a couple years due to stimulus checks and that seems to be all IRS is only working now. So if 2nd stimulus checks go out it may be 10 years before they get them done. Can't imagine what tax time is going to be like when everyone one will file regular taxes at the beginning of 2021

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

2020 amended return

What tax year did you amend?  It would have been impossible to amend a 2019 return in January, since the IRS did not even begin to accept 2019 returns until January 27.  And you have to wait until your return is fully processed before you send in an amended return.  Did you send in an amended return for an earlier year?

The IRS has not been working on mailed returns until very recently---and an amended return can only be filed by mailing it in.  Under normal circumstances you would be able to see something about your mailed in Form 1040X after about three weeks, but that is not the case right now.  The usual 4 months for processing an amended return is going to take longer.  Sorry.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/20/politics/irs-mail-trailers-covid/index.html

MAILED RETURNS

Per the IRS website IRS Operations During COVID-19: Mission-critical functions continue 

IRS operational status and alternatives

Processing Delays for Paper Tax Returns: Taxpayers should file electronically through their tax preparer, tax software provider, or IRS Free File

We’re experiencing delays in processing paper tax returns due to limited staffing. If you already filed a paper return, we will process it in the order we received it.

Do not file a second tax return or contact the IRS about the status of your return.

If you mail a tax return (or a payment) to the IRS, it is a good idea to use a mailing service that will track it like UPS or certified mail so you will know it was received.

TurboTax will not know anything about your amended return, and nor will TT know that you put your 1040X  in an envelope and took it to a mailbox.  TurboTax does not get updates on mailed  (or e-filed) returns.

When the IRS finally opens its mail and begins to process mailed returns you can check the status on the IRS site.

https://www.irs.gov/Filing/Individuals/Amended-Returns-(Form-1040-X)/Wheres-My-Amended-Return-1

https://www.irs.gov/filing/individuals/amended-returns-form-1040-x/amended-return-frequently-asked-q...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

21 Replies

2020 amended return

What tax year did you amend?  It would have been impossible to amend a 2019 return in January, since the IRS did not even begin to accept 2019 returns until January 27.  And you have to wait until your return is fully processed before you send in an amended return.  Did you send in an amended return for an earlier year?

The IRS has not been working on mailed returns until very recently---and an amended return can only be filed by mailing it in.  Under normal circumstances you would be able to see something about your mailed in Form 1040X after about three weeks, but that is not the case right now.  The usual 4 months for processing an amended return is going to take longer.  Sorry.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/20/politics/irs-mail-trailers-covid/index.html

MAILED RETURNS

Per the IRS website IRS Operations During COVID-19: Mission-critical functions continue 

IRS operational status and alternatives

Processing Delays for Paper Tax Returns: Taxpayers should file electronically through their tax preparer, tax software provider, or IRS Free File

We’re experiencing delays in processing paper tax returns due to limited staffing. If you already filed a paper return, we will process it in the order we received it.

Do not file a second tax return or contact the IRS about the status of your return.

If you mail a tax return (or a payment) to the IRS, it is a good idea to use a mailing service that will track it like UPS or certified mail so you will know it was received.

TurboTax will not know anything about your amended return, and nor will TT know that you put your 1040X  in an envelope and took it to a mailbox.  TurboTax does not get updates on mailed  (or e-filed) returns.

When the IRS finally opens its mail and begins to process mailed returns you can check the status on the IRS site.

https://www.irs.gov/Filing/Individuals/Amended-Returns-(Form-1040-X)/Wheres-My-Amended-Return-1

https://www.irs.gov/filing/individuals/amended-returns-form-1040-x/amended-return-frequently-asked-q...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

2020 amended return

I filed all the paperwork that was sent on lawsuit. Then come to find out The company sending the Yes it was for a earlier year that I had to amend.  It was the very end of January that I sent it in the mail. They should have got in at the beginning of February.  It used to say I owed a balance of 300 or so.  I had been checking every couple weeks on my account and in May is when it took my balance off and does not show anything about 300 I did owe. Maybe they take it off when they see I filed a amended return. I won a lawsuit a couple years ago for 86,000 and was paid in 2018 and I paid all taxes on all the money. In 2019 lawsuit company told me they still owed me 12,000 that was a error on their part, They had me pay taxes on the 12,000 in 2018 but never sent the money. So the company wanted me to pay taxes 2 times. paid in 2018 and then pay again when the found the error on the 12,000. Their CPA said they would do the paperwork and help me file the amendment cause it would be easier for me to file it than them. Thanks for all your info though Relieved some stress from worrying. 

2020 amended return

I need to amend my filing I just made through you. We left off our Social Security income and SS  taxes paid.

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

2020 amended return

If you have already filed you have to wait until the IRS either rejects or accepts your return. 

• If your return is rejected, you will be able to go into your account, make the changes to your tax return, and re-submit your return.
  • If the IRS accepts your return, however, then you have to wait longer until it has been fully processed and you have received your refund.  THEN you can prepare an amended tax return and mail it in.  

IMPORTANT:  Meanwhile, DO NOT go in and start changing anything on your return in the system, or you will make a mess for yourself.  Sit tight and wait until you see what the IRS does with the return you just e-filed.

Please see the instructions contained in these TurboTax articles to amend your return: 

@brooksjpbtt

Christythomas8408
Returning Member

2020 amended return

• How do I amend or stop the 2020 tax return I just filed. I have wrong information an some left out. Need to start over

2020 amended return

@Christythomas8408 wrote:
  • How do I amend or stop the 2020 tax return I just filed. I have wrong information an some left out. Need to start over

Once a tax return has been filed it cannot be changed, canceled or retrieved

You will have to wait for the IRS to start accepting or rejecting 2020 tax return on February 12, 2021
If the return is rejected you can make the necessary changes and e-file again.
If the return is accepted you will have to amend your original tax return. An amended return, Form 1040X, can only be printed and mailed to the IRS, it cannot be e-filed. The IRS will take up to 16 weeks or longer to process an amended tax return.

Before starting to amend the tax return, wait for the tax refund to be received or the taxes due to be paid and processed by the IRS.

See this TurboTax support FAQ on amending a tax return originally completed and filed using the 2020 TurboTax online editions - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/how-do-i-amend-my-turbotax-online-return/01/27577

fmarchant
Returning Member

2020 amended return

you can't. you'll have to wait until it has been processed. if it has been accepted for both state & Federal and you have received a refund or had to pay. you can file a 

2020 amended return

I received my return today for $5008.00. We failed to enter our Social Security income and taxes we paid on it. I need to file an amended return and add our joint SS and our Joint SS taxes we pay as a way to help our overall tax return. The total income was $8556.00 and our tax was $1508.46. Nothing else was changed. Please file it. 

[removed].    Invoice Number [removed]

[address removed]

[address removed] [social security number removed]

2020 amended return

@brooksjpbtt wrote:

I received my return today for $5008.00. We failed to enter our Social Security income and taxes we paid on it. I need to file an amended return and add our joint SS and our Joint SS taxes we pay as a way to help our overall tax return. The total income was $8556.00 and our tax was $1508.46. Nothing else was changed. Please file it. 

John P. Brooks and Nancy R Brooks Account n umber *3134.    Invoice Number TTWCB187750372

96 Beaver Creek Run

Texarkana, Tx [social security number removed]

TurboTax does not and cannot file an amended tax return for you.   You have to complete and file the 2020 amended tax return yourself.

See this TurboTax support FAQ on amending a tax return originally completed and filed using the 2020 TurboTax online editions - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/how-do-i-amend-my-turbotax-online-return/01/27577

The IRS Form 1040-X for amending a 2020 tax return is scheduled to be available on 03/25/2021 (subject to change)

2020 amended return

I received the refund today.  

2020 amended return

I need help amend my tax return for 2020SR. to include my Wife .My phone no. [phone number removed]

trtolley
Returning Member

2020 amended return

I submitted amended returns in March of 2020 for 2017 and 2018 and as of today (3/16/2021)  I still have not heard back from the IRS.  They are way behind processing prior year tax returns.

2020 amended return

I submitted our 2018 amended return October 2020, and it was delivered Oct 20, 2020.  I need that return processed so I can close on a house. Geez, it has been almost 7 months and there is absolutely nothing a tax payer can do to get the IRS to do their jobs.  We can't blame COVID forever.  Distraught and worried about having a place to live😢

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

2020 amended return

Prior year tax return filings and other mailed returns will have a lower priority to the IRS right now. 

It may be helpful to contact a local IRS taxpayer advocate.

@nannieof3

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies