IRS Lost Tax Return?

rissaf

IRS Lost Tax Return?

My 2020 tax return was rejected. When I went to TurboTax to resolve the issue, it said that the IRS deemed that my 2019 AGI was incorrect. I looked on my 2019 Tax Return, and I had entered it correctly. I followed the prompts to the "Get Transcript" portion of the IRS website, just to ensure what I had matched with what they did. What I discovered, however, was that the IRS says that my return was never filed??

I checked once again on TurboTax, and sure enough, it says that my returns were e-filed and accepted. I found the emails from last year confirming the same things as well. What on earth is going on??

TerukoL
Employee TurboTax Specialist

IRS Lost Tax Return?

Since you have proof that your tax return was filed and accepted, you can contact the IRS so they can inform you how to submit that information to them.  You can also contact TurboTax customer support to have an agent verify that your return was filed and accepted. 

Also, since the IRS is currently showing that they have not yet received your 2019 tax return, you can use the number 0 as the AGI on your 2020 tax return so that you can efile.

baybells

IRS Lost Tax Return?

The same exact thing happened to us when trying to file for 2020!  They had responded to our 2019 return which was e-filed and asked for a missing form.  We sent them the form and they confirmed that, and the update was that our refund was coming.

Two weeks later: IRS says they never received our 2019 return!  The AGI for 2020 should be "zero?"   How do we get our 2019 refund?  

MichelleLO
Employee TurboTax Specialist

IRS Lost Tax Return?

Please see the below Help Article for an explanation on why some returns have been rejected for an incorrect AGI:
What if I entered the correct AGI and I’m still getting an e-file reject?

IRS Lost Tax Return?