turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I add a w2 after I already filed

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

19 Replies

If you have not already e-filed, you can go back and add the additional income under wages and income tab. 

To add another W-2 please follow the steps below:

1. Open (continue) your return in TurboTax if you don't already have it open.
  2. Inside TurboTax, search for W-2 in the search box in the upper right-hand of the TurboTax screen (upper- or lower-case, with or without the dash) and then select the Jump to W-2 link in the search results.
  3. Proceed to the Here's your W-2 info and select add another W-2

Unfortunately, if you have already e-filed your return it is too late. Once you transmit your return you cannot change it or get it back. You would have to wait until your return gets rejected or accepted.  If rejected, you can make your changes or add information to your return. If accepted, you would need to amend your return to correct or add information to your return. 

If you need to amend your return and you're amending to claim more money, the IRS says to wait until you've received your original refund before filing an amendment. Once you've received your original refund, feel free to cash or spend it while your amendment gets processed (this can take 12–16 weeks). 3 weeks after you mailed your amendment, you can start tracking its progress at the IRS Where's My Amended Return? site.

More information regarding amending a return can be found below: 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288565

chicom98

How do I add a W-2 after filling federal and state from another job?

VictoriaD75
Employee Tax Expert

If the IRS has already accepted your return, you will need to amend it. While the IRS has just started processing returns for the 2019 tax year, submitting your return is similar to dropping it in a mailbox. You cannot cancel or retrieve it. If the IRS accepts your return, you will have to amend it and include the W2. Amended returns require paper filing. If they reject your return, you can simply make the necessary changes and resubmit. You will need to check within the next 24-48 hours for the status.

Should you have to amend, follow the steps below:

1. Log into your TurboTax account
  2. Choose the tax year that you wish to amend
  3. Click Amend
  4. Make any necessary changes

Keep in mind that when you are amending, the refund tracker monitors the difference from your original filing to the amended return. It does not include any original refund or balance due. If you are claiming any previously unreported income, you could see a balance due. 

The 1040x for amended returns is not yet available for the 2019 tax season. Its estimated availability is February 5, 2020.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
KatrinaLO
Intuit Alumni

You need to wait for the first return to either be accepted or rejected by the IRS. If rejected, you can then add the second W-2 and refile the return electronically. If it's accepted, then you need to wait for the refund to be issued, then prepare an amended return, print, sign and mail it in, and wait the 12 weeks for them to process it and mail you any additional refund you may be entitled to.

Please see the TurboTax FAQ below on amending your tax return:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/how-to-amend-change-or-correct-a-return-you-already-...

Shanelt97

Hello Katrina!

My question is I currently have my biggest w2 to file and I need to start my refund process as soon as possible due to some family issues, if i file this and it is accepted I would have to await my refund before filing my other one correct? 

KarenM90
Intuit Alumni

If you have not filed, it is best not to file until you have all of your W2's. 

If you have already filed, and need to add a W2, you will need to amend once your return has been accepted. 

If your return is rejected, you can just add the additional W2.

As KatrinaLO indicated above, if you need to amend, you will need to wait until Form 1040X is available after 2/12/2020 , and print and mail your return (IRS does not accept efiled amended returns.)

It can take more than 12 weeks for IRS to process the amended tax return.

Here is a detailed link with more detailed information:  Amending my tax return.

KatrinaLO
Intuit Alumni

You need to wait for the first return to either be accepted or rejected by the IRS. If rejected, you can then add the second W-2 and refile the return electronically. If it's accepted, then you need to wait for the refund to be issued, then prepare an amended return, print, sign and mail it in, and wait the 12 weeks for them to process it and mail you any additional refund you may be entitled to.

Please see the TurboTax FAQ below on amending your tax return:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/how-to-amend-change-or-correct-a-return-you-already-...

how do i add a w2 after i filing

@joycestates wrote:

how do i add a w2 after i filing

Once a tax return has been e-filed it cannot be canceled, retrieved or changed.
If you have e-filed your tax return and need to change, add or delete information on the tax return then you will need to wait for the tax return to either be accepted or rejected by the IRS.
If the tax return is rejected then you can make your changes and re-file the tax return.
If the tax return is accepted then you will have to amend the tax return to make your changes. An amended tax return, Form 1040X, can only be printed, signed, dated and mailed by you to the IRS, it cannot be e-filed. The IRS will take up to 4 months to process the amended tax return. Wait until you have received the tax refund or the taxes owed have been paid and processed by the IRS before amending the tax return.

On the Tax Home web page when the the Form 1040X for amending a 2019 tax return becomes available there will be a link - Amend (change) return

ChondelLO
Intuit Alumni

If you have received an additional w-2 after having already filed your return, you will need to wait until your return is either accepted or rejected in order to add the additional w-2.  

• If your return is accepted you can amend your return.
  • If your return is rejected, you can make the necessary changes.

For more information on amending your return, please click the link below.

How do I amend my 2019 TurboTax Online return? - Community

Atiur

I used turbotax online for 2018 return and recently received a letter from IRS saying that we did not add a W2 for 2018 and we tracked it down. I don't see any "Amend" button under Documents/2018. It only has one line for download pdf and another for upload. Where is the Amend button for 2018? Not seeing that for 2017 either.

@Atiur wrote:

I used turbotax online for 2018 return and recently received a letter from IRS saying that we did not add a W2 for 2018 and we tracked it down. I don't see any "Amend" button under Documents/2018. It only has one line for download pdf and another for upload. Where is the Amend button for 2018? Not seeing that for 2017 either.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for amending a 2018 tax return - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/how-do-i-amend-my-2018-turbotax-online-return/01/9...

Douchies

How do I add a W-2 after I already filed

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies