I've already filed my taxes, and I forgot to claim...

thearb1ter7

I've already filed my taxes, and I forgot to claim the stimulus money. If possible how do I claim the stimulus money if I've already filed my taxes?

ee-ea

CatinaT1

This link will help you recover your return to make changes.  How to review and update your 2020 return if you already claimed the RRC.

If you did not receive your first and/or second stimulus payment or if the amount received is not correct, you can claim it on your 2020 tax return as the Recovery Rebate Credit.

In TurboTax Online, to claim the Recovery Rebate credit please do the following:

1. Sign into your account and continue from where you left off
  2. Click on Federal in the left-hand column, then on Federal Review on the top of the screen
  3. On the next page titled Let's make sure you got the right stimulus amount, click on Continue
  4. Follow the interview
  5. TurboTax will determine whether you are entitled to any additional stimulus
  6. Any stimulus amount remaining due to you will show as a credit on line 30 of your form 1040.
thearb1ter7

I applied for the return/edit of my tax return on the 6th, and after over 24 hours of February 12th the only update I've gotten is that my return has been accepted, however, nothing has been sent to me about editing my taxes. What do I do from here to claim for review on the recovery rebate for the stimulus checks?

Thank you

JamesG1

If your 2020 Federal tax return has been accepted by the IRS, you will have to amend your 2020 Federal tax return and correct the entries and calculations to receive the Recovery Rebate Credit.

If you have not received your second stimulus check, you will receive your payment in the form of a Recovery Rebate Credit on line 30 of your 2020 Federal tax return when you file.

TurboTax will compare your one or two stimulus payment amounts to the computations within TurboTax.  The computations within TurboTax are based upon the information that you have entered into the tax software.  If you are due an additional amount, it will be issued as a Recovery Rebate Credit (RRC) on line 30 of the 2020 1040 tax return. 

In TurboTax Online, you are prompted to input stimulus check 1 and stimulus check 2 information under Review down the left hand side of the screen.

You can access your stimulus check choices by following these steps:  

• Down the left side of the screen, click on Federal.
  • Across the top of the screen, click on Other Tax Situations.
  • At the screen Let’s keep going to wrap up.  Click on Let’s keep going.
  • At the screen Let’s make sure you got the right stimulus amount, click Continue.
  • At the screen Did you get a stimulus payment? you can update your stimulus check entries. 

See also this TurboTax Help.