Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I started an online ammendment but made mistakes (getting various errors in existing forms that were not in the official filed version). How do I start over from scratch?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies

I started an online ammendment but made mistakes (getting various errors in existing forms that were not in the official filed version). How do I start over from scratch?

You can delete the amended return this way.  Do the steps slowly and carefully.  After you delete it then you need to manually take out the changes you made to put your return back to the original return.

How to delete an Amended return in the Online version

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/how-do-i-cancel-or-undo-an-amended-return-in-turbota...

Thanks, but manually backing the changes out is what I was trying to avoid. I'm not exactly sure what I changed to start getting errors on some forms. 

Isn't there a way to restore my files from a backup to the state it was when my return was accepted?

Unless you save a PDF and/or .taxfile  of the original return before you started the amendment process then all you can do is back out the changes until the return is back to how it was filed originally. 

Hi, 

Yes, I have both the 2020 PDF and TAX2020 files saved to my computer. What do I do next?

@ashleyturk 

you must be using the TurboTax cd/download program.

then you can open your .tax2020 file and give it a new "Save As" file name, but it will be what you filed.

You can then start again.

Choose file names that will not permit confusion.

Ask TurboTax Support for a copy of the cd/download program since you paid already.

If you filed using the online program then you can amend using the online program or download the amendment program if the option is given.   Follow the instructions given in the prior answer. 

the link above doesn't work to answer the question.

what is the "amendment program" and how to get it.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies