Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I received a letter from the IRS ltr 5071c, is this a scam or is this legitimate?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies

I received a letter from the IRS ltr 5071c, is this a scam or is this legitimate?

If you received it directly from IRS then its most likely legitimate. If it has a phone number to call I would first make sure the phone number matches what the IRS actually provides on its web-site.

Copied from the IRS web-site:

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/understanding-your-5071c-letter

We received a federal income tax return with your name and taxpayer identification number but we must verify your identity to process it accurately. The contact information below is only for taxpayers who received Letter 5071C.What you need to doHow to contact us online:

• Use our secure Identity Verification Service. It’s quick and secure.
  • You can opt-out of the Identity Verification Service at any time and call the toll-free number provided in the 5071C letter.
  • If you answer a question incorrectly, you can call the toll-free number in the 5071C letter.
How to contact us by phone:
  • Call the toll-free IRS Identity Verification telephone number in the 5071C letter.
  • Have a copy of the 5071C letter you received, a copy of your prior year tax return (if you filed one) and your most recently filed tax return (if you filed one), as well as any supporting documentation for each year's return (such as Forms W-2, 1099, 1040 Schedule C, or 1040 Schedule F) when you call.

We’ll ask you a series of questions about your identity and tax return history.

If we are unable to verify your identity over the phone or online, we may ask you to schedule an appointment at your local IRS office to verify your identity in person.

The toll-free number is for identity verification only. No other tax-related information, including refund status, is available.

There is no one to answer the phones or make appointment all. The while im out of work and no money to live. I need help.

I got the same letter, and was concerned. I was able to find the number referenced on this irs.gov page: https://www.irs.gov/irm/part25/irm_25-025-006r

I find it pretty ludicrous that the IRS expects potential identity fraud victims to call a hidden number sent to them in the mail, and give their social security number, 1040 information, etc.

They should use some form of mutual authentication. They prove to me, and I prove to them.

Going forward you can get an IP PIN issued for the tax return.  

cubarb

I received a letter from the IRS saying we have a possible identity problem on  our 2019 tax return. I need to know if this is  legit before I fill it out. Thank you!

DaraLO
Intuit Alumni

@cubarb The IRS is the only one who can verify if a letter was sent.  Please contact them for confirmation.  You can also sign into your IRS Online Account to view digital copies of certain notices from the IRS.  Here is the link:  https://www.irs.gov/payments/your-online-account

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I received this letter from IRS dated April 19,2022, I tried to do this on line with IRS and as usual they are being a pain in the ___, What should I do now can not contact by phone they give you run around, so what else can I do??

Anonymous
Not applicable

I used a valid PIN number, and I got the 5071C after a month and a half of waiting. Again, I was already PIN verified. The phone number on the 5071C letter [phone number removed] is a joke line.. The message says they are open 7AM to 7PM. I have called morning, noon, and night for days on end. There is no person to answer the line. They want to you 'think' there is an alternative to having your face recorded. 

Since the IRS is holding my refund hostage, I am considering do the same thing to them. I will simply minimize my taxes paid this year to near zero or as close as I can get. I will soon consume the tax money they will not refund to me and in that way get it back.  Then I will change my rate again to make sure I owe money at the end of the year. The IRS does not ask for identification when you owe them money but maybe we should ask them. 

I will never be doing the ID.me verification. They are a 3rd party hired by the IRS to record your face and verify your IDs. I have arleady been failed by the government OPM hack where they allowed my ID and even fingerprints be stolen by Chinese hackers. I can't get new fingerprints and you wouldn't be able to get a new face (when) ID.me gets hacked. ID.me said we don't sell your facial recognition signature, but come on... The patern file for your face will be sold to XRVision, TrueFace, AnyVision, Affectiva, Face ++, Kairos, Sensory, Slyce, Redrock Biometrics, Verifyoo, and CaraCom before you can hang up the phone. 

The IRS, in it's attempt to make their system more secure, went to the ID ME  system which has not been well received and they say they are looking into another option but at this time none is in use.  I am glad I set up an account with the IRS before this ID ME nightmare came into play.  

I am trying to complete my 5071C letter requirements but the stage where they ask me for "more information about my return" never appears. I am "verified" by the IRS, they have my return, I see the bar showing the stage of my refund. But WHERE are the questions I am supposed to answer.

Yes, I am also trying to call the number provided and of course not able to get thru.

Thank you!

CassLO
Intuit Alumni

Try closing out of everything and clear your cache and delete cookies, then sign back in. If that does not work, try a different browser. 

For more information regarding the 5071C letter, please see the instructions in the following link: I got a 5071C letter from the IRS

If you still need additional assistance, please feel free to reply back to this thread.

@WSLLDB 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies