jkeena07

I mailed in my amended return over 3 weeks ago and there still not on file

After you print, sign and mail your amended return—1040X— to the IRS wait about 3 weeks and then you can begin checking on it at the IRS website.  Be aware that it can take at least 3-4 months for an amended return to be fully processed (or sometimes even longer.)

https://www.irs.gov/Filing/Individuals/Amended-Returns-(Form-1040-X)/Wheres-My-Amended-Return-1

https://www.irs.gov/filing/individuals/amended-returns-form-1040-x/amended-return-frequently-asked-q...

BreeStroh4

Since the coronavirus is my amended return take longer to process? 

@BreeStroh4    Best guess?  It will probably take longer than usual.  The IRS is short-staffed at best, and now they have employees who are socially distancing at work, ill, working from home, etc. and they are not only trying to process millions of income tax returns, but now have to deal with processing and sending out millions of stimulus checks.  You may be waiting awhile for an amended return, unfortunately.

bambonan

I also mailed my amended form over 3 weeks ago with tracking and got confirmation they received it, but it's not appearing on "Where's My Amended Return?" IRS tool. This is the second time I had to send my amended return because the first one I sent also never appeared on that tool, despite me waiting way over the 3 weeks. I amended because I incorrectly claimed myself as independent in my original return, when I am in fact a dependent of my parents. Their return was rejected, and so was mine since I didn't submit healthcare forms an independent would need to. After contacting Marketplace, TurboTax and the IRS themselves, they said I didn't need to submit the healthcare forms they asked for if I am actually a dependent, since my parents will, and suggested I just amend, which I did. Why isn't my amended return on file yet, if they say it'll take a max of 3 weeks to appear on the site? Is it because of the coronavirus? Or did I do something wrong? The IRS website says you need to amend if you claimed a dependency status incorrectly , which was my issue, but in the letter asking for the healthcare forms, they said I didn't need to amend, just send the forms to process the original (incorrect) tax return, but I don't need the original processed. I amended anyway because the issue needed to be fixed, but now I'm wondering if they're not accepting my amended return because I didn't submit those papers for the original return, or if it really just is coronavirus delays. I don't see why I'd have to submit those forms if all those representatives told me not to and it was incorrect and needing amending anyway, and I of course can't ask this to IRS customer service now because they're all laid off because of the virus. HELP!!!!!! please

sm9coder

Hey, for me it's been more than 3 weeks aswell. Did your status get updated?

In normal times it takes up to 16 weeks or more to process an Amended 1040X return.  But these are not normal times.

They just started opening the mail in June that's been stacking up. So you have to keep waiting.

See this IRS page for the latest information

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue

Then once they start opening the mail, After 3 weeks you can track it here,    

https://www.irs.gov/filing/individuals/amended-returns-form-1040-x-/wheres-my-amended-return-1

drayaxoxo

The same thing is happening to me. We both obviously know that it takes 16 weeks to process & 3 weeks to show up. We’re currently saying guys that it’s been 16 weeks + more than the 3 weeks on top of that & it still won’t show up on where’s my amended return. It must have something to do with Covid & hopefully that’s the case. 

macuser_22

Because of the COVID-19 12 week shutdown when the IRS did not process ANY mail at all, they now have millions of mail backlog to process.   It might take a while.

See: