turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jkeena07

I mailed in my amended return over 3 weeks ago and there still not on file

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

17 Replies

After you print, sign and mail your amended return—1040X— to the IRS wait about 3 weeks and then you can begin checking on it at the IRS website.  Be aware that it can take at least 3-4 months for an amended return to be fully processed (or sometimes even longer.)

https://www.irs.gov/Filing/Individuals/Amended-Returns-(Form-1040-X)/Wheres-My-Amended-Return-1

https://www.irs.gov/filing/individuals/amended-returns-form-1040-x/amended-return-frequently-asked-q...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Since the coronavirus is my amended return take longer to process? 

@BreeStroh4    Best guess?  It will probably take longer than usual.  The IRS is short-staffed at best, and now they have employees who are socially distancing at work, ill, working from home, etc. and they are not only trying to process millions of income tax returns, but now have to deal with processing and sending out millions of stimulus checks.  You may be waiting awhile for an amended return, unfortunately.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
bambonan

I also mailed my amended form over 3 weeks ago with tracking and got confirmation they received it, but it's not appearing on "Where's My Amended Return?" IRS tool. This is the second time I had to send my amended return because the first one I sent also never appeared on that tool, despite me waiting way over the 3 weeks. I amended because I incorrectly claimed myself as independent in my original return, when I am in fact a dependent of my parents. Their return was rejected, and so was mine since I didn't submit healthcare forms an independent would need to. After contacting Marketplace, TurboTax and the IRS themselves, they said I didn't need to submit the healthcare forms they asked for if I am actually a dependent, since my parents will, and suggested I just amend, which I did. Why isn't my amended return on file yet, if they say it'll take a max of 3 weeks to appear on the site? Is it because of the coronavirus? Or did I do something wrong? The IRS website says you need to amend if you claimed a dependency status incorrectly , which was my issue, but in the letter asking for the healthcare forms, they said I didn't need to amend, just send the forms to process the original (incorrect) tax return, but I don't need the original processed. I amended anyway because the issue needed to be fixed, but now I'm wondering if they're not accepting my amended return because I didn't submit those papers for the original return, or if it really just is coronavirus delays. I don't see why I'd have to submit those forms if all those representatives told me not to and it was incorrect and needing amending anyway, and I of course can't ask this to IRS customer service now because they're all laid off because of the virus. HELP!!!!!! please

sm9coder

Hey, for me it's been more than 3 weeks aswell. Did your status get updated?

In normal times it takes up to 16 weeks or more to process an Amended 1040X return.  But these are not normal times.

They just started opening the mail in June that's been stacking up. So you have to keep waiting.

See this IRS page for the latest information

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue

Then once they start opening the mail, After 3 weeks you can track it here,    

https://www.irs.gov/filing/individuals/amended-returns-form-1040-x-/wheres-my-amended-return-1

drayaxoxo

The same thing is happening to me. We both obviously know that it takes 16 weeks to process & 3 weeks to show up. We’re currently saying guys that it’s been 16 weeks + more than the 3 weeks on top of that & it still won’t show up on where’s my amended return. It must have something to do with Covid & hopefully that’s the case. 

Because of the COVID-19 12 week shutdown when the IRS did not process ANY mail at all, they now have millions of mail backlog to process.   It might take a while.

See:

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

I’m in the same exact boat mines was did the middle of June it’s still not showing up on the where’s my amended return tool

@Santana3 It might not show up on the amended return site for weeks or even months---sorry.

Even during “normal” times it takes about four months for the IRS to process an amended return.  During the pandemic and due to the severe backlog at the IRS it is taking much longer—six months or more for many amended returns.  Do not expect quick results from amending.  When the IRS issues a refund for an amended return it will be by check.  They do not make direct deposits for refunds for amended returns. 

You can watch for information here:

https://www.irs.gov/Filing/Individuals/Amended-Returns-(Form-1040-X)/Wheres-My-Amended-Return-1

Are we still in coronavirus times with the IRS?

I mailed amended returns well over 3 weeks ago.  Have confirmation they made it.

I don't want to file my current (2021) return because the numbers from the amended return affect capital gain carryovers.

Should I go ahead and file current return (using amended return numbers) even though they haven't gotten to it?

Vanessa A
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, you should file your current return with the amended numbers as it can take 16 weeks in a normal year for the IRS to process the amended returns. If you wait until it is processed, you would be late filing your return unless you file an extension later this month when the form becomes available in TurboTax.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hi Vanessa:

Which causes less issues--

file an extension and try to wait until they amend

or just go ahead a file with the assumption my amended returns are right?

Cass0317
Intuit Alumni

If you want to track the status of your amended return, use the IRS Where's My Amended Return? tracking tool. Allow at least 16 weeks for the IRS to process your amended return.

@darrellfung

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies