Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I'll be on the road next tax season & do my taxes remotely. I've used Premier from a disk. Can I get Premier online & what's the best way to xfer info from the prev yr?

I will be traveling in a camper.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I'll be on the road next tax season & do my taxes remotely. I've used Premier from a disk. Can I get Premier online & what's the best way to xfer info from the prev yr?

You can use the CD/download again if you will have a computer that meets the system requirements--like a laptop, but not any sort of mobile device.  Or you can use online software.   Your choices for online will be Deluxe or Premium.   Your 2023 tax file can be transferred to the 2024 software.   If you are going to be traveling, you may want to put the 2023 tax file on a flash drive if you used the CD/download for 2023 so that you will be able to transfer it into the 2024 online program.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

To transfer from 2023,  you will need the file ending in .tax2023 to transfer into 2024.   Copy that file to the laptop.  Your tax files end in .tax or .tax2020 or .tax2021 or .tax2022 etc.  They should be in your Documents in a Turbo Tax folder.

Will you have Internet access when you camp or at a location?  You will need to update the program and download a state program.   And to download the program if you don't use the CD.  Oh and to install and activate the program.   The 2024 program should come out in November.   

Also be aware that Online Premium is not as fully-featured as desktop Premier.  For example, if you are used to using Forms Mode in the desktop version for correcting any entries or troubleshooting, be aware that Online Turbotax does not have a Forms Mode, so you can't make any changes directly on a form.   In Online TurboTax you can only view a few main forms during preparation (the 1040 and Schedules 1-3)  and cannot print anything, unless you pay in advance to have full viewing/printing privileges of all forms.

The Online version can only prepare 1 Federal return per account, while the desktop version can prepare multiple Federal returns with up to 5 free Federal efiles.   As a result, in the desktop version it's easy to run scenarios in test returns or to prepare returns for other family members, if applicable. 

In the Online version, there is an extra fee to prepare a state return, while desktop Premier includes a state program that prepares multiple state returns (of that same one state.)    There is a $20-25 fee to efile each state return in the desktop version (no efile fee for NY state), but there's no fee if you elect to postal mail the state returns.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies