Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

I haven't received my refund, its been over 10 weeks, I've tried tracking it through the IRS, but it can't give me any information. What do I do now?

has anyone tried this? does it work to get a live agent?

I haven't received my refund, its been over 10 weeks, I've tried tracking it through the IRS, but it can't give me any information. What do I do now?

I can't even tell if the IRS got my return.  I usually file electronically but because of an issue where I needed to send a supporting document, I had to mail my 2020 return.  If I use the "Where is my return" portal and it can't find my 2020 return does that mean they didn't receive it or they may just not have processed it yet?

@wethewwtax wrote:

I can't even tell if the IRS got my return.  I usually file electronically but because of an issue where I needed to send a supporting document, I had to mail my 2020 return.  If I use the "Where is my return" portal and it can't find my 2020 return does that mean they didn't receive it or they may just not have processed it yet?

The IRS is taking months to start processing mailed tax returns.

The IRS is seriously behind in processing 2020 tax returns.  This is due to many factors, such as the pandemic, completing processing of millions of 2019 tax returns, stimulus payments, unemployment compensation exclusion tax refunds., changes in the tax code by Congress in the middle of the 2020 tax season and the like.

Millions of taxpayers have not yet received there federal tax refunds.

Go to this IRS website for operational status - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue

As of July 3, 2021, we had 16.8 million unprocessed individual returns in the pipeline. Unprocessed returns include tax year 2020 returns such as those requiring correction to the Recovery Rebate Credit amount or validation of 2019 income used to figure the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and Additional Child Tax Credit (ACTC). This work does not require us to correspond with taxpayers but does require special handling by an IRS employee so, in these instances, it is taking the IRS more than 21 days to issue any related refund. If, as a result, a correction is made to any RRC, EITC or ACTC claimed on the return, the IRS will send taxpayers an explanation. Taxpayers are encouraged to continue to check Where’s My Refund? for their personalized refund status and can review Tax Season Refund Frequently Asked Questions.

What you should do: If you filed electronically and received an acknowledgement, you do not need to take any further action other than promptly responding to any requests for information. If you filed on paper, check Where’s my refund? If it tells you we have received your return or are processing or reviewing it, we are processing your return, but it may be under review. We’re working hard to get through the backlog. Please don’t file a second tax return or contact the IRS about the status of your return.

Mickeylig

I called the IRS but they said they could not talk and hung up on me

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

There are a few options for getting through to the IRS.  Try the steps below and if you can, we have had reports of being able to get through when the IRS first opens in the morning.  Or, you can visit your local IRS Office

IRS: 800-829-1040  

Hours: 7:00 AM - 7:00 PM, local time

Monday-Friday

• Listen to each menu before making the selection.
  • First choose your language. Press 1 for English.
  • Then do NOT choose the first choice re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.
  • Instead, press 2 for "personal income tax".
  • Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".
  • Then press 3 "for all other questions."
  • Then press 2 "for all other questions."  It should then transfer you to an agent.

@Mickeylig

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
chrislind84
Returning Member

I could not E-file because the IRS either lost or did not get my 2020 return and I had to refile and in 2021 I did not have the numbers they asked for to E-file. So I mailed my 2021 return and it has been 10+ weeks since I mailed it. The trouble is I have no way to know it they received it or not. I am getting a refund so I guess it is not urgent. But I would like to know if I am going to have to refile like I did the previous year.  

MarilynG
Expert Alumni

If you didn't mail your 2021 return by 'certified mail', you won't know the IRS received it until it shows up on the IRS Refund Site, unfortunately.

Keep checking.

@chrislind84

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

The IRS is terribly, terribly backed up with paper returns.  If you do file by mail, make sure to send certified or any other method where you can get proof of mailing and proof of receipt.  I did that for an amended 2019 return, and for my 2020 return - they have it, I have the dates they received it, but it still has not been recorded onto my IRS.gov account, after all this time.  Hence, no refund or stimmies (yet).  

Deedmoore

Going through this to. I have to file a paper return every year because someone's out there trying to claim my kids and every time I try to call the office no matter what day of the week it is it always says  they are unable to assist please call again at a later time and then you check the irs site and it never updates to check if anything has even been received. It is not even being processed it took me almost a year to get my income tax from 2020 back and now It looks like the same situation. I filed and I still haven't received an answer I'm so tired of this I'm about to go to my congressman/governor in my city and file a complaint and see what they can do to help. 

where's my refund

@pierrestlouis

First, check your e-file status to see if your return was accepted: 

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/efile-status-lookup/

Once your federal return has been accepted by the IRS, only the IRS has any control.  TurboTax does not receive any updates from the IRS. Your ONLY source of information about your refund now is the IRS.

You need your filing status, your Social Security number and the exact amount  (line 35a of your 2021 Form 1040) of your federal refund to track your Federal refund:   

https://www.irs.gov/refunds

To track your state refund:    

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899433-how-do-i-track-my-state-refund

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901548-why-do-some-refunds-take-longer-than-others

If you chose to have your TurboTax fees deducted from your federal refund, that will take some extra time, while the third party bank handles the refund processing.

https://www.irs.gov/refunds/tax-season-refund-frequently-asked-questions

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2840013-does-accepted-mean-my-refund-is-approved

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2724106-my-return-is-accepted-but-still-not-approved-is-there-a-pr...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
chrislind84
Returning Member

I received a letter from the IRS a few days ago that said it could be up to 60 more days before they get to my return.  I tried to file online, but last year I had to refile because they they told me they never received my return so this year I did not have the correct numbers they requested to file online. I will attempt online filing again next year. 

@chrislind84 - wow!  you are the first post I've seen where someone who had filed via paper had heard anything from the IRS.  So if I read your posts correctly, you filed around the 1st of Feb and if the IRS now says they will process in 60 days or so, that is the 1st of August, so that the delay for paper returns is right around 6 months.....

that is terrific news that the IRS is beginning to 'set expecations' for paper returns. 

chrislind84
Returning Member

This is actually the first time I ever attempted to file online and it failed no matter what I tried, so I filed paper. Should have at least sent it so I knew if they got it, but I did not. I will file online next year if I have to call the IRS to make it happen. I think I sent the paperwork in the mail in the middle part of February. So it will be very close to 6 months if they get them done August 1st. I have been told they will pay you interest for something this late. I will have to see it to believe it. They owe me $300. so that does not cause them to be in a hurry.

@chrislind84 - yes 4% interest beyond 45 days from the date you filed...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies