turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have a notice from the IRS that my refund was applied toward a past due IRS tax obligation. How do I find out what I owe after that has been applied? Help!!

I knew I owed some money, I think, from 2014, which is fine, I just need to know how much I still owe.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

I have a notice from the IRS that my refund was applied toward a past due IRS tax obligation. How do I find out what I owe after that has been applied? Help!!

Go to this IRS website for your account balance - https://www.irs.gov/uac/view-your-tax-account

The irs has a notice stating., my refund has been applied to a past due obligation such as child support I don’t know what they are talking about please tell me what’s my money I feel somebody in the irs stole my refund please help me find out wear it’s at 

They should send a letter to you. Mine said the same thing. I owe some state income tax which is fine because I knew I wasn't getting my state but my federal refund 🤔 only thing I can think of is do u have any past due student loans? That could be a reason also. Make sure u call the BFS to get info

Can u tell me what I owe for and the amount 

BrandiLO
Intuit Alumni

@Tgreen1013, the only way to know how much debt remains is to contact the company/agency that you owe the debt to. We would not have access to that information. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Jaylenno
Returning Member

I have the same message. I have student loans,but those are being waived as of the 13 of March. I filed the 24th of March. What is going on? Is the system not updated or what?

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

@Jaylenno

You cant contact the IRS, and the Department of Education for more information.

Please contact the IRS Treasury Offset Department at 1800-304-3107.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Jaylenno
Returning Member

OK. But is this just a formality? Has the IRS not updated it's system yet? Does it automatically get forwarded to the Treasury department and and then waived from there or what?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies