turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

I got my federal taxes direct deposited I only received half of it will I receive the other half

@Islandboy Removed typo...should read $5,600 and Not $5,800

Islandboy
Returning Member

I got my federal taxes direct deposited I only received half of it will I receive the other half

@DoninGA @I've check me and my wife's bank account multiple times, and havenot received any 3rd stimulus payments? 

@Islandboy wrote:

@DoninGA @I've check me and my wife's bank account multiple times, and havenot received any 3rd stimulus payments? 

Okay...Then check the IRS tax account.  If it shows the stimulus payment was sent and you did not receive the payment then you will need to have the IRS start a trace on the payment.

Go to this IRS website for how to start a payment trace for the stimulus payment - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/questions-and-answers-about-the-third-economic-impact-payment-topic-j-p...

Islandboy
Returning Member

@DoninGA thank you for your quick replies.

Let's just say I log into the irs link you posted,  and the 3rd stimulus has not been sent out at all...  What would be the process now?  

Since the IRS changed your tax return they will be sending a letter in a few weeks explaining what was changed to reduce the federal tax refund.  In the letter there will be a process to dispute the IRS changes.  

Hi what were the steps taken to figure this out 

earles
Returning Member

Same here! Not sure why there is no explanation of this via email. 

I was supposed to receive 3,124 dollars back and only received 1,670 dollars. Not to mention my money was now sent to a 3rd party ( TPG ) before I was sent my return in which I can't seem to get a response from them or TurboTax. If you didn't pay the Government what you owed them it's criminal offense.  Guess its not a big deal when they cheat us out of our money though.

Your refund goes the 3rd party bank to take the fees out.  You selected that.  There is also an Extra $40 Refund Processing Service charge you had to agree to.  So how much is missing after all the fees?

If the difference is about $1,400.   Did you enter the amount you got for the 3rd Stimulus payment?   You tried to claim it again on 1040 line 30 for the Recovery Rebate Credit.  Line 30 is only if you didn't get the full amount or qualify for more. 

Double check your bank statements and check your IRS account to see what they sent you.  Check both IRS accounts if married.  If the IRS says they sent it to you but you didn't get it then Request a trace for a missing third Stimulus payment

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/questions-and-answers-about-the-third-economic-impact-payment-topic-j-p...Your Online Account | Internal Revenue Service

I WAS SUPPOSED TO GET $ 1,250

can you tell me where the rest of my refund went I know some of it went to pay TurboTax

I understand this  But where the rest of My refund  

THANK  YOU

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

In this public forum, we cannot diagnose why your refund has been reduced.  For additional information, please see this Help Article or this TurboTax blog post.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I received half of my federal refund and I did not receive the other half it never happened before and I don't owe them any money what's going on

Cass0317
Intuit Alumni

The IRS reviews the information you entered in your return and compares it with what they have in their database. If there are any discrepancies, they make adjustments accordingly and send your reduced refund.

The IRS will send you a letter explaining the adjustment, but it usually takes about three weeks to arrive. If you got your refund already, check the IRS Where’s my refund? site to see what they adjusted and how it impacted your refund. It may take several days for the site to be updated.

For more information, please see the TurboTax FAQ's below:

@Oholah1234

The 2 most common reasons this year is you entered the wrong amount on line 30 for the Recovery Rebate Credit (3rd Stimulus payment) or line 28 for the Child Tax Credit.  Those lines are just if you didn't already get the full amount or qualify for more.  The IRS knows what they already sent you.  

A lot of people answered the questions wrong and tried to claim the credits again.  Double check your bank statements to see what the IRS sent you during the year for the 3rd Stimulus payment and Advance Child Tax Credit .

The IRS has the information as to how much they paid for stimulus and advance child tax credit. 

If you did not enter the correct amount then IRS will give you less refund after accounting for the correct amount paid. 

As @VolvoGirl mentioned you should check your bank account to check the actual amount of credit received by you.

You request a payment trace to track your payment if a payment was issued to you and you have not received it.

To start a payment trace:

• Call IRS at 800-919-9835
  • Mail or fax a completed Form 3911 and write the Third stimulus on top of the form
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies