Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

I accidentally checked the box stating nobody else can claim me as a dependent, how much will that affect my refund verses my mom's refund?

@jess4fun2 Go to My Info and click on your name.   Then go through the screens to the question that asks if you can be claimed as someone else's dependent.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I accidentally checked the box stating nobody else can claim me as a dependent, how much will that affect my refund verses my mom's refund?

@xmasbaby0 

In an earlier post you stated to use a 1040x Form (I'm assuming you mean a paper form) This is what I am using, that I downloaded from IRS.gov.  Again I do not see where I can make a choice "someone else can claim me".  If I just fill out this with choosing "Single" form and include a written letter stating why I am filing the 1040x will that be sufficient?  Thanks again!

You can actually complete your amended return using TurboTax and e-file it.   You make the change regarding being claimed as a dependent by changing the way you answer the question in My Info.  You can also enter a sentence about it in the reason for amending on the

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-return/help/how-do-i-amend-my-2021-return/00/2544441

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

@xmasbaby0 

This is my son's filing.  And he used TaxSlayer instead of TurboTax :( So can the 1040x paper form be sufficient?

Thanks!

@jess4fun2 Yes----you did not mention previously that the return was not prepared using TurboTax.   Your son can use the paper Form 1040X and mail it in.   

@xmasbaby0 

He has received his refund check.

I have filed my taxes via USPS mail as you suggested since my online Turbotax version was rejected because of my son claiming himself. What happens next? Will my paper return be rejected as well, because of the above mentioned error?

Do we go ahead and send the 1040x for my son?  What information am I correcting? Are the amounts going to remain the same? On the paper form there is NOT a box to check "someone else is claiming me".  Again Thank you SO much for your help!

Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can mail in his 1040X

No, your paper return will not be rejected but it will be delayed.  You can include a statement with your return referring to your son's 1040X and what happened. You could even include a copy of his 1040X.  You should still mail his original 1040X to the address listed on the instructions when he prints out the 1040X. 

You are correct, you cannot uncheck the box, so an explanation is necessary at the bottom of the form. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@xmasbaby0 

Thanks again. Unfortunately, I mailed my return w/o including a note and w/o his 1040x.  I thought of it after the fact.  I'll go ahead and mail in his 1040x and hope all gets cleared up.

Thanks again!!

Will2525

What is the exact line number where I can change if someone can claim me as dependent? Looks like lines 24 to 30 only pertains to the taxpayer's dependents and not if someone can claim the taxpayer as dependent. Thanks in advance for any response.

If you need to change the question if someone else can you as a dependent, go to My Info and click Edit by your name.  Then scroll down to #3.   Click on Add a State to let you back into your return. 

If you (or your spouse) can be claimed as a dependent, check your return.  On the 1040 check the Standard Deduction section under your name and address.  There is a checkbox if someone can claim you or your spouse.

Will2525

Hi, I made the same mistake (Tax year 2022) and trying to fill up 1040-X but don't know where to enter the corrections. How did you do it? Thanks

Will2525

I'm in the same boat. Can we just enter the info under the Part III Explanation of Changes? What did you do? 

My suggestion to Turbo Tax is to change the interface when prompting for this question. It's poor UI design and client experience. And when the tax return gets rejected it keeps on saying it will fix it but same thing happen after it gets fixed. 

Will2525

This is after the fact. We already sent the tax return and processed. We are amending it using 1040-X but nothing in the form to check that say someone can claim you as dependent. Where in the form can you correct that information.

Will2525

Does TurboTax Deluxe 2022 has the option to fill up the 1040-X (amendment) form and send it electornically?

@Will2525 The question about whether you can be claimed as someone else's dependent appears in My Info.   Click your name and go through the screens carefully until you reach that question and change it as needed.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies