turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

HOW DO I FIND OUT WHICH SS IS ALREADY USED?

HOW DO YOU FIND OUT WHICH SOCIAL IS ALREADY USED

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

To determine which of your Dependents was already claimed, you will need to look at your full Reject Code.  The last two digits of the Reject Code tells you which Dependent it was based on the order they are listed on your Form 1040

For example, Reject Code:

• R0000-507-01 - The First Dependent listed on your Tax Return was already Claimed as a Dependent
  • R0000-507-02 - The Second Dependent listed on your Tax Return was already Claimed as a Dependent
  • R0000-507-03 - The Third Dependent listed on your Tax Return was already Claimed as a Dependent

If you need additional assistance in figuring out which of your Dependents was claimed, please comment below.

ant8675309
Returning Member

I been claiming my child the whole life , he had a state licences in Indiana but used his Illinois state i.d. to claim,  how did he get away with this and not paying Indiana taxes on top. The child dont live with him. So how did he get to claim that.

What if my error code is only 507 and I have 3 dependents how can I tell which one was claimed

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

Your tax return will reject if 

• a dependent's Social Security number is listed as a dependent on another tax return, or
  • the dependent has filed a tax return without indicating that they would be claimed as a dependent on another tax return.

To determine which of your dependents were already claimed, you will need to look at your full Reject Code.  

The last two digits of the Reject Code tells you which dependent.  It is based upon the order in which they are listed on your IRS Form 1040.  

If you did not receive an email with the Reject Code, please follow these instructions: How do I fix a Rejected Return?

For example, Reject Code:

• R0000-507-01 - The First Dependent listed on your Tax Return was already Claimed as a Dependent
  • R0000-507-02 - The Second Dependent listed on your Tax Return was already Claimed as a Dependent
  • R0000-507-03 - The Third Dependent listed on your Tax Return was already Claimed as a Dependent

After you have determined which dependent is involved:

• Verify the dependent's Social Security Number (SSN) matches his or her Social Security Card. 
  • Verify the Social Security number is not the same as the taxpayer's, spouse's, or other dependent's Social Security number. 
  • Verify the Social Security number is unique to this tax return and is not used on any other tax return. 

If the Social Security number is not correct or unique, correct the dependent's Social Security number and resubmit the return electronically. 

If the Social Security number is correct and unique to this tax return, you cannot e-file the tax return for the current tax year. You must print and file the return by mail.

See this TurboTax Best Answer.  See also this TurboTax Help.

@Tjessie1415 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies