Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

woodfpe

How do I change from applying overpayment to next year to immediate refund?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
TomK
Expert Alumni

IF you filed and return is pending, please wait... if it is rejected, use steps below to change:

To change Overpayment option:

• Log back in to your return (if not already there).
  • Click on Orange box 'Take me to my return' (if shown).
  • Click Federal Taxes tab.
  • Click Other Tax situations tab.
  • Select Apply Refund to next year and make your change.
  • Delete the amount of refund that is in the box to apply to next year's taxes.

IF the return is accepted:

You have plenty of time to reverse the situation.

First, wait about a week after you've received confirmation that your e-filed return was accepted (or 2-3 weeks after mailing, if you paper-filed).

Then, visit or call your local IRS office (fastest) or call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 to explain that you want your applied refund transferred back to the current tax year.

You'll get your check refund in approximately 3-4 weeks. Electronic deposit is not available in these cases.

[Edited 4/05/17]

View solution in original post

Only the IRS can make that change for you once you successfully filed the return ... 

IF you filed and return is pending, please wait... if it is rejected, use steps below to change:

• Click Federal Taxes tab.
  • Click Other Tax situations tab.
  • Select Apply Refund to next year and make your change.

First, wait about a week after you've received confirmation that your e-filed return was accepted (or 2-3 weeks after mailing, if you paper-filed).

Then, visit or call your local IRS office (fastest) or call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 to explain that you want your applied refund transferred back to the current tax year.

You'll get your check refund in approximately 3-4 weeks. Electronic deposit is not available in these cases.

View solution in original post

11 Replies
woodfpe

AFTER having filed my return. Also, where s the "Federal Taxes" tab?
TomK
Expert Alumni

Your clarification does change my answer.  Please see my edited update below.  I hope it is helpful.

How does this apply to state tax?
TomK
Expert Alumni

• Click Federal Taxes tab.
  • Click Other Tax situations tab.
  • Select Apply Refund to next year and make your change.

Then, visit or call your local IRS office (fastest) or call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 to explain that you want your applied refund transferred back to the current tax year.

[Edited 4/05/17]
duste101

We’re you able to change it, and how long did it take you get your return?
beach1

I wanted to thank you for sound advise regarding changing a refund from apply to next year to please refund now..

Hello, my return was electronically filed and accepted May 10.  I inadvertently had my refund applied to next year's estimated taxes.  I am doing research re having a refund issued now instead.  I called the IRS and was told that the agent had never heard of having a credit changed to a refund check and was not able to assist me.  My question is, should I do an amended tax return with Form 1040-X to change election to refund?  Thank you for your assistance.

Just going over instructions for Form 1040-X, the language for line 23 reads, "You can't change your election to apply part or all of the overpayment on Line 21 to next year's estimated tax." 

My initial research has not been successful in finding a way to reduce the amount that I applied to 2023 taxes from my 2022 refund.  I have been told 1040X will not allow this change.  Anyone have a solution?

Only the IRS can make that change for you once you successfully filed the return ... 

• Click Federal Taxes tab.
  • Click Other Tax situations tab.
  • Select Apply Refund to next year and make your change.

Then, visit or call your local IRS office (fastest) or call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 to explain that you want your applied refund transferred back to the current tax year.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies