Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Electronically filing 1040X.

I tried to e-file an amended 2019 Federal return today and got the same date error I've been getting for months. Today was supposed to be the day the IRS accepted amended returns. Did that change?

Thanks.

ASDq12AS
Returning Member

I doubt they know. It says it is supposed to be out now on the 26th (today). I have a feeling it will be the same for tomorrow. When i filed originally the automatix w2 thing wasnt working so i manually entered and somehow it registered that i had entered $10,000.00 more than I had actually earned. 

I tried to efile amendment 1040x today too and received the same error.  looks to be that turbotax is not yet ready to e-file any amended taxes yet.

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

We are showing these forms should be available. 

Try this and see if this clears the issue for you.  Please log completely out of TurboTax.  Then, in your browser, please clear your cache and delete your cookies.  After this, close completely out of the browser.  Re-open everything including logging back into TurboTax.  Also, you can try completing your return in a different browser as well.  

For further instructions on how to clear cache and delete cookies, please see the links below:

Clear Cache

Delete Cookies

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

thank you for the info HeatherPLO.  I had found the forms for admending taxes, 1040-x.  that wasn't the issue.  the issue was electronically filing these tax amendment forms, 1040-x after I had already electronically filed my tax return.  The IRS allows for electronically filing the amended tax form 1040-x starting in 2019.  however I don't think TurboTax has been able to efile any amendment forms after taxes has been efiled.  If you have please let me know as what you sent did not rectify the issue.  thank you

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Due to the passing of the American Rescue Plan, there is a delay with the ability to amend returns. Please see the below TurboTax Help Article for more details and a link to sign up for an update when the amend option is available. 

Why can't I amend my return?

@Chris26Alisa

rnmichalek0521
Returning Member

Do I need to have one of the paid versions of Turbo Tax in order to submit a 2019 1040X electronically.  The software is not giving me a submit option

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Only the current year (2020) 1040-X can be e-filed. Previous year's amended returns must be printed and mailed. Please see the below TurboTax Help Article for more information:

Can I e-file my 1040X to amend my return?

@rnmichalek0521

RefundJockey
Returning Member

rikkidale

I did not file in  year 2019, however I did use 1040SR for year 2020 . Your wording is confusing. Is it either or referring to filing in 2019 and 1040 SR?

Form 1040-X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return.

The IRS has started to accept electronically filed Forms 1040-X. Currently, only tax year 2019 Forms 1040 and 1040-SR can be amended electronically. Additional improvements are planned for the future. You can still file a paper Form 1040-X and should follow the instructions for preparing and submitting the paper form. For more info, see irs.gov. 

Stine007

I need to file a 1040x electronically for 2019 with a form 982.;

How can I do this using Turbotax???

@Stine007   It is not possible to e-file a 2019 1040X.   Only a 2021 1040X can be e-filed.   It has to be filed by mail.  Print, sign and mail it.   Do not expect quick results.   It would be a good idea to use certified mail so you will get a receipt and confirmation that it was received.

Even during “normal” times it takes about four months for the IRS to process an amended return.  During the pandemic and due to the severe backlog at the IRS it is taking much longer—six months or more for many amended returns.  Do not expect quick results from amending.  When the IRS issues a refund for an amended return it will be by check.  They do not make direct deposits for refunds for amended returns.  You can watch for information here:

https://www.irs.gov/Filing/Individuals/Amended-Returns-(Form-1040-X)/Wheres-My-Amended-Return-1

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I need to amend my taxes. I need to file 1040x

@yoalphonse wrote:

I need to amend my taxes. I need to file 1040x

An amended return, Form 1040-X, can only be printed and mailed to the IRS if the original tax return was not e-filed. The IRS will take up to 16 weeks or longer to process an amended tax return.

Before starting to amend the tax return, wait for the tax refund to be received or the taxes due to be paid and processed by the IRS.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for amending a 2021 return - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-return/help/how-do-i-amend-my-2021-return/00/2544441

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies