Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
United States of AmericaEnglishEN

Pick a language

CanadaEnglish CanadaFrançais
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TurboTax Help

Why can't I amend my return?

There’s no need to amend your federal return to update your unemployment income—the IRS announced that they will automatically adjust your return and send any additional refund amount directly to you.

However, some people may now be newly eligible for additional deductions and credits not already included on the original tax return. In these cases, you will likely want to amend your return to claim these additional dollars. You can see more details around who should amend here. Waiting to amend, if necessary, will not delay any refund you may newly qualify for.

We’re working hard to update TurboTax to the most recent IRS changes along with the American Rescue Plan and are still waiting on how individual states are handling these changes. Go here to see whether or not you’ll need to amend your state return for your unemployment income.

If you incorrectly calculated the Rebate Recovery Credit, there is no need to amend. The IRS will automatically adjust the amount owed you. If you did not claim the Rebate Recovery Credit on your original return, you will need to file an amendment to claim the rebate.

If you need to amend your state return or update something other than unemployment or the Rebate Recovery Credit, go here.

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings