turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am a resident of WI but worked in MN. I need to fill out Schedule OS. The info was not automatically filled in for Calculation of Credit. How do I get these figures?

I am stuck on Calculation of Credit.  How do I get these figures as the other two states were filled in automatically and the answer is not my total gross income.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

I am a resident of WI but worked in MN. I need to fill out Schedule OS. The info was not automatically filled in for Calculation of Credit. How do I get these figures?

The easiest way is to look at your w-2 to see how much income was reported to MN.  This is the income reported to the other state.  Then, the tax would be the difference of the amount of MN tax withheld and the amount of refund you receive from MN.  So if you paid 900 in MN tax, and got a refund of 200, your MN tax on MN income is 700.  However, if you had 100 additional to pay, then your MN tax is 1000 (900 withheld plus the 100 due).  However, if you are getting back all of your taxes from MN, then you will not get any credit for taxes paid to MN because you would have zero tax liability with MN.  

If you have not done so, it is recommended to prepare the MN nonresident return first to make sure that these credits are correctly calculated.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

20 Replies
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

The easiest way is to look at your w-2 to see how much income was reported to MN.  This is the income reported to the other state.  Then, the tax would be the difference of the amount of MN tax withheld and the amount of refund you receive from MN.  So if you paid 900 in MN tax, and got a refund of 200, your MN tax on MN income is 700.  However, if you had 100 additional to pay, then your MN tax is 1000 (900 withheld plus the 100 due).  However, if you are getting back all of your taxes from MN, then you will not get any credit for taxes paid to MN because you would have zero tax liability with MN.  

If you have not done so, it is recommended to prepare the MN nonresident return first to make sure that these credits are correctly calculated.

Thank you trying to help but the answers are still not lining up.  Here’s one example, for CO, my income was 3194.  In the Calculation of Credit  Lines 26 & 26 read 3179 and Line 28 reads 89.  I owe CO $9.00. How are these numbers calculated?  I cannot figure it out but, then again, I’m no math or tax whiz.  The numbers are filled in for CO and MT but not MN (We once had reciprocity but no longer.). Thanks for trying to help.

Oh and I did fill out the MN nonresident form.  That’s why I’m also puzzled as to why it didn’t auto fill the OS Schedule like CO and MT did.

Oh and I did fill out the MN nonresident form.  That’s why I’m also puzzled as to why it didn’t auto fill the OS Schedule like CO and MT did.
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Unfortunately I don't have access to your return.  However, you can manually enter the MN return.  Use the numbers provided.  It is possible that because of deductions or credits that WI calculates the out-of-state income differently.  On the CO portion, is the 89 from 80 that you've paid in and 9 more that you owe?  If that's your situation, the CO is correct.

Trust me, I wish you did!  How are they calculating the 3179?  That’s where I am most confused.

For MT, it’s 20,759. Line 26 & 27 read 18,314 and Line 28 reads 345. I just cannot figure out where or how they are getting these figures.

i wish I could call WI but I work during their hours and not sure if there’s anyone to call after hours at a diff number. So frustrating!  As it looks now, despite being a broke seasonal employee, I owe money to Federal and to WI.  Fantastic!  I wonder if the government realizes how difficult it is to live on less than $25,000 a year?  Not that they’d even care...
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

I understand.  What I think is happening is that the WI return is prorating your WI standard deduction on the income reported to MT, CO and MN.  How much did you earn in MN, and what was your total tax (tax withheld minus your refund).  Did I explain the CO result correctly?

Let me check...

CO: $80 paid $9 owed so yes, you were correct.
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

So what was MN?

MN is weird. I made $2649 yet the numbers are WAY off!  WTH?  Okay, according to MN State it says Federal and MN Taxable Income is 16072 MN Income Tax Withholding 18 for a Refund of 18.

According to my MN W-2s, I had $35.98 in Federal withheld and State was $18.20.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies